Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Chopping the blinds - but what if it\'s with an ATM?

Hi guys

I was reading the B & M newbies sticky and came across this

"Chopping the blinds - If it gets folded around to the blinds many players like to 'chop' which is just pulling back your own blind and NOT playing the hand out.

I've seen some internet-players look at their hole-cards and decide that they don't want to chop for that specific hand because they are holding AA. This is a horrible breach of the etiquette and you will not be looked upon favorably"

Now... my question is, what if you're in the SB with AA and it's folded around, and BB is an ATM who has been paying everyone off? Surely it won't be seen as bad etiquette if I don't offer him a chop, or, if he asks for a chop, I say 'Why don't we play this one out' and make a little raise? After all, other players will recognize that this guy is likely to pay me off, and must know what's going on.

I guess that getting paid off by him is an impotant part of my performance expectation - but must I forego an opportunity for some easy money because of the etiquette involved?

Any comments are appreciated.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Chopping the blinds - but what if it\'s with an ATM?

Just try and be consistant-either chop or dont
persoanlly exceot in California where the rake is rediuclous i think chopping is stupid if you're a good player but I do it to keep the game friendly
However if the player is an [censored] then I play the hands I want
Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 AM

Either you chop or you don't. Plus you shouldn't be looking at your cards yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Personally I don't look until its my turn and I'll generally agree to the chop. If I do one way, I don't change the rest of the session. I'd say I see a chop once every other session (exempting the first orbit at a new game, I see them there most of the time), so its not terribly prevalent. If it was, I'd be worried.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:54 AM

I tell the players on both sides that I don't chop. Then when a hand comes around and the SB starts to ask. Then says, "oh yeah, you don't chop." and raises. If I have a good hand, I get to play a raised hand against a moran. If I have a bad hand I get to fold and say "Live by my rule, die by my rule." I get a lot of respect at the table and the result is no stigma for playing my hands.

peace

psw
Old 12-18-2006, 12:49 PM

You either always chop or never chop (during each individual session). There is no in between.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You either always chop or never chop (during each individual session). There is no in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

People always state this like it's a hard and fast rule. It's not (in most places). If I want to be a prick and selectively chop I have every right to that. For the record, I always chop. However, I could really care less whether somebody at my table is a selective chopper or not. I understand players informing somebody that it's standard to chop, but I see way too much venom directed at those who don't chop.

And also, I roll my eyes every time I hear people say the reason for chopping is because "only the house wins" if you don't chop. Even if it's checked all the way to the river in a 4/8 game the winning player will make a profit (except in California).
Old 12-18-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If we alsway choped within that session and all of sudden you raised from Sb, for the reminder of your session i will use EVERY dirty trick in the book and i know a lot of them.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then says, "oh yeah, you don't chop." and raises. If I have a good hand, I get to play a raised hand against a moran. If I have a bad hand I get to fold and say "Live by my rule, die by my rule."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a pretty clever strategy. Fold bad hands against a raise, and play good hands. Does this only work for raises from the small blind, or could you apply it to raises from players in other positions?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then says, "oh yeah, you don't chop." and raises. If I have a good hand, I get to play a raised hand against a moran. If I have a bad hand I get to fold and say "Live by my rule, die by my rule."

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a pretty clever strategy. Fold bad hands against a raise, and play good hands. Does this only work for raises from the small blind, or could you apply it to raises from players in other positions?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point. In an atmosphere where not chopping is viewed with hostility and creates a negative vibe, this removes the stigma and gets you what you want at the same time.

psw
Old 12-18-2006, 01:07 PM

Why would you think there's an exception because the guy is likely to pay you off?

Why would you think the rest of the table is going to be rooting for you? (With all of the table- and seat-changing going on, they know there's a good chance they'll end up next to you at some point in the night.)

The B&M regulars hate selective choppers worse than slow-rollers and angle-shooters. Sit quietly by one day when someone decides to selectively chop. The rest of the table will talk about how dirty it is, and will agree to "get him."

BTW, I'm not sure if it's in the FAQ or not, but in Cali's jackpot-obsessed games, if you both have a "jackpot hand" you're expected to check it down.