Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 09:12 PM

Default Buried Aces should I have played them differenty

I decided to slowplay here as I was pretty sure I was up against a big buried pair. My thoughts were that it was all ready heads up. It would be better to go for the checkraise on 5th barring improvement in his board. I thought the check call was best on 6th as I was pretty sure that he had 2 pair and would call any raise I made there, and I would just be charging myself to draw. Although a raise here might have gotten a free showdown if I did not improve?? I would have to fold the river unimproved, and most likely curse myself to trying to be tricky. Comments on all street as well as my thought process on the hand are appreciated. Thanks

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.80 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.40 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (6.40 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (8.40 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (12.40 BB)
Old 12-16-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Buried Aces should I have played them differenty

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to slowplay here as I was pretty sure I was up against a big buried pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an argument against slow-playing. If your opponent has a big pair in the hole, he will often reraise if you raise, so you're costing yourself some value by slow-playing. You should be more inclined to slow-play against weakness, not strength.

I would reraise him on 3rd and expect him to make it 3 bets (assuming his most likely hand here is a big pocket pair), at which point I would probably just call and get in a double bet on 5th as long as he doesn't improve in sight.

The rest of the hand looks good. I wouldn't raise him on 6th since you are clearly behind, and you aren't committed to calling a bet on the river unimproved. You also risk getting reraised.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:59 PM

I think you played fine, though raising early and hoping to get more action is probably a little better against an opponent who is at all aggressive.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:23 AM

I usually raise on 3rd for a couple of reasons. The first is that he might think I'm defending and re-raise. The second is that if I don't end up going to showdown then people may be more reluctant to steal my bring in without a real hand.

Those are just my theories though- I have had no real success to back any of this up [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, in reality I just raise because at 1/2 they'll call to the river even if it's obvious I have aces [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 12:45 AM

Option 1 - raise on third street. If villain has a huge pair as expected then he will likely re-raise 3rd, or raise 4th, gaining on average one big bet or more. A showdown is often likely.

Option #2 - wait till 5th street to pop the opponent to gain on average 1 big bet. If the hero is re-raised it is likely that he is behind if he did not improve to 2 more or better. You may stop the hand from getting to showdown with late street aggression if the villain did not improve, if not the hero will often lose at the river.

Overall option one is the percentage play, it gets the most money in the pot now - when you want it.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 03:00 PM

I pop this when it gets back to me on third pretty much every time. Your edge is pretty substantial, and the other guy may give you excess action. If he gives you excess action on the later streets, your hand might not be good.

I don't see much value in getting a free showdown when it's overwhelmingly likely that you're beaten. You had the right game-plan--call and hit.