Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 PM

Default AJ vs. randomly raised garbage

Villain is 41/26/2.44, and I've seen him show down some pretty gross stuff after raising preflop and playing aggressively the whole hand.

I played this strangely (differently from how I normally would, at least), and it didn't work out (which I'm more than used to at this point), but I think it actually may have been the best way to play it.

Thoughts?

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

River: (7.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.66 BB
Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 PM

Default Re: AJ vs. randomly raised garbage

pf good. i probably bet the flop, check behind the turn UI, and call a river bet UI.

i don't think a turn raise is good against this guy. he's never folding a better hand. he's never folding a club. he will punish you by 3 betting you with all sorts of hands cuz he's a retard. with A high against a guy like this, i think it's better to get to showdown as cheaply as possibly, and i don't think raising the turn is the best way to do it.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:58 PM

not sure you want to open yourself up to getting 3bet here against this kind of player. I think call call would be better against hyper aggressive dudes like this.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:58 PM

Was your purpose to get to the showdown as cheaply as possible? If so, then you should have bet the flop, unless you were sure he would check-raise. Also, if you don't think that he is laying down no matter what, then I don't see much point in raising the turn.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:15 PM

While I see your point about not raising the turn, I think he's far more likely to CR the flop and bet the turn with a weak pair, a draw, or a complete bluff, than to 3-bet the turn.
Also, I think he calls a raise on the turn with some hands I'm beating, and usually checks to me on river after I raise turn unless he's actually got something moderately strong (at least somewhat stronger than A-high). So most of the time, I end up putting the same amount of bets in by raising turn as by calling turn and river.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:51 PM

I dont mind raising this turn actually, it may look like a slowplay to villain so he ll be very hesitant to 3bet or donk the river and we can charge alot of hands that caught a draw, i like this better then calling down actually here just cuz i feel that way we re more likely to put in 2 bets behind and 1 ahead.

i bet the flop even when people know they can take shots at u they dont every single hand and ur leaving urself pretty vulnerable after, theres not that many turns id like this raise on. this was one tho hes bet calling any decent club no pair, some str draws other random hands, he may fold out some small pair hands but i wouldnt count that as worth much seeing as he probably show downs a ton but itd be nice if not u can hope u have 6 outs against his pairs no fd.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:32 AM

This play is for inducing bluffs not protecting your hand.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:14 PM

Hate the turn raise. If you think you probably have the best hand on the turn, I think you should call and let him bluff the river rather than risk a 3 bet(to which you may have outs but probably have to fold). The raise will also probably never get him to fold a better hand, which is the only reason to raise here IMO.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So most of the time, I end up putting the same amount of bets in by raising turn as by calling turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

But often you'll be 3 bet and forced to fold what could be the best hand or has 6 outs to beat a pair. Since this guy is just randomly aggressive, you don't know what to make of any turn action. I stand by raising the turn is bad.