Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Reno trip Report

I enjoy reading the trip reports so I will do one too. I am not and author or English major so excuse the spelling, grammer, and flow of ideas. I will do my best but what ever.

I am starting out in Moundhouse, NV, which is a small unincorporated suburb of Carson City, NV. It is 4:37 pm and I am still at work. I brought $800 of my bankroll (not all of it) with me so I don’t even have to stop at home to pick it up. In about 21min now I will leave work and drive to Reno, NV. I have made it in 30min but with rush our traffic it will take 45min to an hour to get to my first destination. I have made arrangements to meet a good friend of mine (Bebe) for dinner at the Atlantis. That is a nickname but everyone knows her by it. We both like sushi so we are going to the all you can eat sushi bar on the top floor. Bebe is a diamond card member so I will see if she comps it for us. Her ex-husband is a professional video poker/live poker player and got her hooked on the video part. She learned the strategies and does quite well. She won a few of the special jackpots so that helps. Anyway, she gets me cool free stuff from rooms to shows and day trips so I can’t complain. I will let you know how the meal goes. After that I will be off to the Grand Sierra (was Reno Hilton) for some cash games. They are having their winter tournaments so there will be extra action from the CA players in town. I plan to play 20/40, 10/20, or 3/5 NL. No tournys for me. 8 min till 5pm so I have to go. I will try to take notes. I come home at night so I will try to write the first part in the morning.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Reno trip Report

I am typing the whole night now but will have to put the poker part in the next chapter. Don’t know if I am being to detailed but what the heck.

Boss calls from out of state to check up on things just as I am walking out. Not bad luck already. Go over business with him and am out the door and at the gas station by 5:30pm. 2.58 a gal for gas. Down $25 before I even get out of town. I hope my luck turns soon. Down the road and get to Reno by 6:05. Hit traffic as soon as I get off the freeway. Bebe calls and says she got a comp for dinner. Sweet, hot date and she pays, +EV. Maybe my luck is turning. Got to the Atlantis at 6:20 and decide to valet. High roller this weekend. We are having dinner on the top floor so I head over that way and find she has our seats already. I go for the all you can eat sushi so I can compare it to the other places I have been. I use to own a sushi bar so I like to pick them apart. She orders a Cajun sea food fettuccini and I kick back with my large Sapporo beer to enjoy her company. We have a great time talking and helps cover the fact that our waitress seems to have gotten lost. She arrives with Bebe’s dish and gets mine from the sushi bar. I get my sushi and am immediately disappointed. They over loaded the rolls with rice and skimp on the fish and ingredients. I should have known they would do this with the all you can eat, but I was hoping it would be better then what it was. I highly recommend the Eldorado sushi bar on the Reno strip. It doesn’t matter if you order the all you can eat or just a roll. They give you a good bit of rice but they also stuff the roll with all the fish they can fit into it and still roll it. Fresh, great service, and friendly chef to boot. Anyway, I don’t order any more rice and start to pick at Bebe’s dinner. She says she is not hungry and there are huge pieces of shrimp, scallops, and sausage on top of the pasta. I should have eaten off the menu. I only ate there once before, but I would say ordering off the menu is the way to go. They have great dishes and soups. I am going to go back for them not sushi. We finish dinner and her comp is a little short so I throw a twenty on top. The waitress says tips are tight before Christmas so I tell her to keep the change. I asked her about the tips so I could high roll again. –EV but I am a high roller this weekend.

We go down stairs to walk around alittle after a big meal and stop at the roulette table. Min bet is $4 so I have to barrow two bucks from Bebe. I am not short just have big bills. I bet black because it was red last time according to the tree. The dealer makes a comment that it is not that easy as I put my $5 down. Hits black and the dealer eats crow as I double our money. +$3. We walk by their poker room and I am surprised they have 4 tables going. The most I have seen, but then I have only played there twice. I am an unknown there so I will be going more soon. We make our way to the black jack tables and I loose my roulette winnings. Pull another $40 out and play for ½ hr on that. I get a blackjack that pays two ½ to one so I use the dollars to bet for the dealer. The first one is a bust but the second has us doubling down and we hold up. I always try to have fun when I gamble so I get the dealers involved when I can. Bebe looses $20 but I win my money back plus. Up $7 so far. We go back to the video poker section because Bebe has to play her favorite machine. Hey, she won over $150,000 on it so I would say it was good to her. We play next to two young ladies and Bebe starts giving them strategy advice. They win a little so they are happy. I only watch so I get bored quickly. I decide to hit the head to let her play some so I don’t seem rude. She is in 2 hundred when I get back so I start to hint we should go if she looses it all. She starts to hit and I think to myself, crap now I have to stay longer. She gets her $200 back and $20 more so I say time to go. Out the door to valet and I am off to play poker. +7 gambling -3 valet tip. +4 at the Atlantis. Maybe it will be a good night after all.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Ok Poker

Pulled into the Grand Sierra (former Reno Hilton) just before 9pm. The parking lot is not full so it is looking bad already. I am yawning which is also not good. I was up at 6am and worked from 7am to 5:30pm so I am slowing down. I will hit the coffee as soon as I hit the table. 9pm and I get to the poker room and the floor immediately points to me and asks if I will help start a 20/40 6 handed. I say yes and take the 3 seat with $400. It is not a lot but I am here to win. Only 5 people come but we get the cards in the air by 9:15pm. Lets gambol.

The starting line up. There is some middle aged guy next to me that I don’t know. If I don’t know them they are from out of town because I have at least seen everybody in town. He buys a rack and sits. 6 seat is an older man that I don’t know. I classify him as a normal bad player until he proves himself. Ernie sits in seat 7. He is a bad Lag that will raise or bet anything. Hard to put on a hand but when he re-raises or check raises I slow down. 9 seat is lag Asian. I have played with him many time before and he is Lance, I think. Anyway, lag predictable player. He will take shots at pots so you have to play back at him some times. Seat 9 is a tight guy that looks like he is from Finland. I lost to him in the past. My take on him is that he knows what he is doing. He plays tight and is my biggest worry at the table. First round or two I fold and watch the new guys play. Seat 6 tries to run over the table until seat 10 calls him down. I file that info for later. I am blinded down 100 when I play my first hand, KJo in the cut off. I raise and take the blinds. We play for 20 min and the table fills from other tables and guys busting out of the tournament. Two notables sit at the table Sam and Salomon. Sam is a bad player that raises all the time no mater position or cards. He calls to the river and then calls the river even if he misses his draws. He has lots of money and is a major contributor. Last week he dropped 2k into the game. Then there is Salomon. He plays a little better then Sam but is much more aggressive. He will raise and re-raise with nothing and then fold to a river bet. His favorite hand is 42, suited or not. Both can be very dangerous if they are catching cards. They play almost every hand so you just have to watch out if the bet into the bettor or check raise. Others come that I don’t know and we have a full table. My next hand I limp 66 UTG and 5 more people limp in. (I know some of my hand selections may be loose but when I am catching cards I loosen up and I don’t worry to much about a raise behind because most of the time it is passive preflop and everyone will call a raise if there is one.) The flop comes JJ5 and I bet. Everyone folds and I take the pot. I fold for awhile and the guy in the 4 seat manages to loose his buy in and leaves. My friend Bret sits and we start to catch up. I am not paying attention when I get J8 clubs on the button and put out two bets thinking I am raising the blinds for a steal. The small blind calls and we see a flop. The flop is K8X rainbow with one club. I reach for chips and the dealer say bet. What?!! I look up and it turns out the 8 seat raised UTG preflop and I was just calling when I put out two bets for the preflop blind steal. Crap. That is what I get for talking to Bret instead of paying attention. I look at the pot and figure 7 bets and I have second pair with a backdoor flush draw. I call knowing the sm blind will call too and he does. The turn is another 8. Sweet, thank you poker gods. 8 seat bets out and I smooth call. Sm blind folds. The river is a 9. 8 seat bets, I raise and he insta folds. With that pot I am up $180 in ½ hr. Great start. I fold for a while and am starting to get really tired. I can’t get my self to concentrate and count bets and watch the play. I am talking with Bret and not paying attention to play. This is when I get KK in the small blind. UTG raises and there is one caller. I 3 bet out of turn and the button folds. Dam I lost money. UTG 4 bets, cold caller calls, and I cap. All call. Over $300 preflop. No Ace on the flop so I bet. I bet both safe streets and don’t loose a caller until the river bet. I am good. Couple of hands later I limp with KhJc in late position. Button raises and me and everyone else calls. There are 11 bets in the pot and we see a flop of Q95 with 2 hearts. I know I am missing details and this is how I know how tired I am. It is checked around to the PF raiser and he bets. Someone check raises and it is 2 bets back to me. I have one over cards, gutshot, and back door flush. I fold. Again I am to tired to figure odds and take the safe fold. The turn is a K and a blank river. My K would have been good. Was this a bad fold? I open raise once but check fold when I miss the flop. Then I get two black jacks and raise in late position. The sm blind 3 bets and Sam in the big blind calls and so do I. I forgot to tell you, Sam is catching cards tonight and is up 1,100 in the last hour, so I don’t like his cold call. The flop is A83 all hearts. The sm blind throws a fit and checks, Sam checks, and so do I. I know the sm blind doesn’t have a heart but I thought he had and Ace with the 3 bets preflop. The turn is another heart and it is checked around. The river pairs the board so no board flush. It is check around again and my JJ is good. Turns out the sm blind and Sam both had KQ. 3 bet with KQo, interesting. At this point I am up $475 in an hour so I don’t feel to bad that I may have missed a bet. The next two notable hands I get red 88 and 66. I cold call two bets in late position with 88. There were 3-4 people to the flop and I fold to a flop bet. Same situation with 66. I loose a few chips but sets are big money makers in this game. Then I go on a small rush. I get 9h10h in LP with 7 people to the flop. I flop top two, get action and win a huge pot. I am really tired now and the details are fuzzy. The next hand I get AQo, raise in EP and get 2-3 callers. Flop top pair and get some callers to the river. Stack another nice pot. Next hand get A10o and raise UTG. No callers and I take the blinds. Get 82o in the big blind and my three hand rush is over. I check my stack and am up $1,100 in less then 2 hours. Sweet. Couple of hands later I notice young guy raising a lot in seat 7 with weak hands. It is folded to him and he raises, the button also notices this and he 3 bets, folded to me in the BB with AJs. I decide to 4 bet. Seat 7 folds as expected and the button calls. I catch top pair and bet. He calls the flop bet but folds to a turn bet. Now I am up about $1,300.00 in 2hr 15 min.

I have more hands but it is 3:26 in the afternoon. I am loosing valuable table time. I will finish tomorrow. I spent a lot of time taking notes last night and I thought it hurt my game so tonight I will just try to remember and give the highlights.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:33 PM

Is this any good or am i wasting my time typing? Let me know.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:36 PM

i would love to read it, but [censored] paragraphs dude.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would love to read it, but [censored] paragraphs dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

good information, but yeah, some paragraphs would be nice.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:41 PM

I enjoyed, don't get many Reno TR [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 AM

How are the cash games in general during the winter tournaments? You never mentioned how many tables...limits..etc. are happening. Lets hear some surrounding details of the room.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:34 AM

Solly usually plays 42o, suited would void his image as a maniac.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 PM

You know Solly? Now I am worried my comments will get back to him. He is a nice guy and I enjoy playing with him. I don't want him to be made at me.