Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Default 5/10 vs 3/6 games

This is a chore I gave myself to get my head on straight.
Not sure if this helps anyone but me.

I have been doing well at the 5/10 online tables and have been using Poker Tracker to play two tables. My goal is to make $30+/hr. and I need to play 2 tables to get this rate.

My stats: 18.9/9.2/1.8 (Yes.. I am the vanilla TAA)

The 5/10 tables I play at the goal is to: isolate a fish or blinds with a raise pre-flop and try and win the hand with some aggression and position. Play nice with the other TAA and look out for those raises coming from the real tight players. Yes.. You do your best to get in cheap with low pocket pairs and suited connectors in a multiway pot but this is rare.

The issue is mid-week there are not enough good 5/10 tables so I decided to play at a 3/6 table last night and was in complete shock by the difference in play. Very loose and passive and will take some adjustments in my play.

Here is a hand I had:

Hero Under the Gun: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Raise)
Cold called by three players plus the BB. (10.3 SB)
Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB: checks Hero: bets Get 2 calls BB: folds (6.5 BB)
I was expecting to thin the field.
Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero: bets Get 2 calls (9.5 BB)
River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero: bets Get 2 calls (12.5 BB)
Expect to win no raises [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
One caller has: K4 for 2 pair [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
I can't imagine what the other caller has (Didn't see)

So I don't think I played this hand badly. Maybe a check/call on the flop. I don't think a check/raise clears anyone out.

So here are my "rules" for this 3/6 game:
1. Raise pre-flop with all the hands that like multi-way pots and are most likely big favorites.
2. Don't semi-bluff there is very little fold equity.
3. Try to get free cards on draws via position and aggresssion.
4. Don't bet other peoples hands.
5. You need the winner so calculate those outs and play those draws well. This includes raises when the odds are right.
6. Don't give free cards with High Pair/Good Kicker on the flop.
7. Focus on playing well not results.
8. Not sure what to do about those check raises on the turn that tell you the villian has two pair or better. I will need to learn how to fold some of my Top Pair no draw hand in these spots. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: 5/10 vs 3/6 games

[ QUOTE ]
I have been doing well at the 5/10 online tables and have been using Poker Tracker to play two tables. My goal is to make $30+/hr. and I need to play 2 tables to get this rate.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you'd have to be an excellent player to make this much an hour from 2 tables. I think this would be around 2BBs every hundred hands depending on what sites you play. I think it would be much easier from 3 or more tables. If you make this much from 2 tables in the longrun, I think you're doing really well.

In my experience there isn't a shocking difference between 3/6 and 5/10. Yeah, I don't think you played the hand really badly either. I think checking the flop could have been good.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In my experience there isn't a shocking difference between 3/6 and 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO a certain site has softer 5/10 games than 3/6 games.

also, i agree that's a pretty big amount of $$ to make from 2 tabling. you might be able to pull it off but your S.D. would be pretty big and you'd have to be excellent.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:42 PM

Thank you for the info....

I am hoping for a 2BB/100 win rate.
I was also hoping that this was a resonable expectation for a good player. (Which I hope I am [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
Is this win rate to much to hope for with my skill set?

I am not a great player, I am working on leaks.
I have a WSD% of 36% and have become aware that I am holding onto UI High Cards to long in small pots.

I am selective on the table I play. I hope this will help my win rate. How much if any?

I have slowly working my way up in stakes. I had a 1.5BB/HR win rate at 3/6 (800 hours) and played winning 2/4 and 1/2 before that.

I purchased poker tracker 2 months ago. Great program
It is helping me alot. The big thing it is doing is getting me out of the way of the tight players who limp into pots with big hands and allowing me to bet the loose players more aggresively.
I have just over 6000 hands with poker tracker at 5/10
and have a win rate of 3.08 BB/100.

I know... I know.. way to small a sample...
But I am hoping for 2BB/100 playing 2 tables.
This get me to $30/hour goal. This is just a goal.. Winning poker is the first step.
I have two screens on my computer which allows me to see everything I need quickly.

I also have done a good job of avoiding tilt. We will see how this goes in the middle of the first good loosing streak.

Now for the bad news. I really havn't had any kind of a long loosing streak in these 6000 hands and I have gotten AA a fair amount more than normal and they really havn't been cracked very badly. I need to do some math.. But I wonder if this is most of my profit?

So the real question.. (Everyone wants to know)
Am I even a winning player at this level?

I want to get another 15000 hands (3 months) and get my bankroll to 10K it is currently at $6800. If I can hold a 2BB/100 win rate this should be doable.

Then maybe, I will then go to three screens.

One more thing.. I have played some 10/20 and have watched more. I know at best I am a break even player at that level.

Again thank you for your input...
Any advise or opintion is welcome.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:19 PM

well, i guess considering rakeback into that equation you should be able to pull it off. the way you describe yourself, you should be able to do it assuming you don't run bad for a while and let yourself fall apart.
as far as game selection goes, where are you playing on playing? if you're planning on playing FTP, most of the time there's only 3 or 4 games going (more on weekends and certain nights) so i don't know how careful you can be w/ game selection.