Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 08:52 AM

Default TT OP v. LAG (200nl 6max PP)

Opponent is 54/30/4 over 2500 hands. We have a lot of history and his three-bet range preflop is much wider then the average 1/2 player. Any other ideas on how to handle medium overpairs versus a player of this description? His screen name is pencil303 if anyone plays those games.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

SB ($216.50)
BB ($236.55)
Hero ($209.15)
MP ($295.60)
Button ($867.16)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $21</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $14.

Flop: ($45) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Turn: ($115) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $200</font>, Hero calls $78.15 (All-In).

River: ($468.15) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $468.15
Old 02-04-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Re: TT OP v. LAG (200nl 6max PP)

I guess you check the flop because you expect villian will bet with a lot of worse hands , but what cards do you like to see on the turn? leading the flop or having checked , check raise hoping that he calls with smaller overpair or folds overcards . As played by the time he raises you all in youre committed
Old 02-04-2006, 09:48 AM

Ouch. I'm glad I didn't play this hand.

So what are you trying to do? Slowplay tens? I think that if you are going to call a push on the turn it would have been better to push it yourself. Then at least you have a chance he will fold a bigger pair...
Old 02-04-2006, 02:24 PM

Very evil spot. Would be nice to know his reraising range. When he raises the turn, you must be beat if he's a thinking LAG, he must assume you're calling the $78 more, so it's probably a fold there, though I suppose something like A9 is remotely possible, it seems unlikely. I think I would have to have a read on him being very wild to want to play a weak overpair for my stack here. Maybe a better line is lead flop or check-raise flop.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch. I'm glad I didn't play this hand.

So what are you trying to do? Slowplay tens? I think that if you are going to call a push on the turn it would have been better to push it yourself. Then at least you have a chance he will fold a bigger pair...

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even look at his stats?

Check/call then lead the turn is a standard line with a TPTK type hand and this guy knows that. He's raising a ton of stuff I beat on the turn.

What are you doing in this spot, leading the flop and folding to a raise? If so this type of player is going to eat you up with position.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a better line is lead flop or check-raise flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah lead call, c/r AI on a decent turn or c/r the flop big are my two other options in my opinion. What do you think the relative advantages of these other lines are?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah lead call, c/r AI on a decent turn or c/r the flop big are my two other options in my opinion. What do you think the relative advantages of these other lines are?

[/ QUOTE ]

The key is here is a more detailed read. Good LAG play is all about reads, and playing against them is about reads too. Is this guy just a maniac who will push junk even if you show strength? Is he a weak LAG that will only attack weakness, and back off if you show any strength? etc.

Some LAGs try to sucker you into paying off their big hands, they'll only make little stabs and create the illusion of being a maniac, but then they'll have the goods when the money goes in. Against that player you can try to feel them out and fold a worse hand. Against a pure maniac you can't really feel them out and just have to get it in when you think you're ahead.

If he's a maniac, your line doesn't really matter much, you have to get it in. If not, then a different line might let you find out if he has JJ+ cheaper.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that if you are going to call a push on the turn it would have been better to push it yourself. Then at least you have a chance he will fold a bigger pair...

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy never folds a hand that beats you.

You just folded out some hands that are drawing dead or to 2-5 outs and will bluff everytime though.