Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Variance in NL vs Limit

Could somebody please link me to a previous thread where this was discussed? I've been arguing with other midstake limit and NL players about this.

I suck with the search engine on this site ='(.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Variance in NL vs Limit

swing go up and down
Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 AM

Anyone have any knowledge on the difference in variance between limit and NL....
Old 12-15-2006, 02:42 AM

in no limit you can control when you win, in limit it's only th ecards that matters k thnx
Old 12-15-2006, 02:45 AM

V:{NL<L}
Old 12-15-2006, 02:52 AM

the VARIANCE is much greater in NL. this is obvious. in limit you can put in between 1 and 12 BB on any given hand. in NL you put in between 1 and sometimes up to 300 BB and beyond. but VARIANCE needs context. without context, it's jsut a meaningless figure.

winrates are what put variance into context. depending on how good you are at each game, you could suffer worse downswings in either game.

so i guess the question is really "given a certain bankroll, what's the best way to maximize my risk vs reward?" at small stakes (bankroll <$10,000), it is undoubtedly NL. once you get to middle limits (bankroll $10,000-$200,000), it becomes closer. i'm not sure how bad the limit games are these days. i've heard they've dried up a lot. so if that's the case, you can probably get better value playing 5/10 NL than 30/60-50/100 limit. but 25/50 NL vs 200/400+ limit is hard to say since most people aren't capable of beating both
Old 12-15-2006, 02:53 AM

the msnl guys are always going to be jokers. they prob wont help you. dont listen to guys like yvesaint, aejones, kratzer, or josh.......
Old 12-15-2006, 04:13 AM

I lol'ed

kthx lol
Old 12-15-2006, 04:17 AM

That's funny, b/c Josh gave a constructive answer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Josh does a great job, although I would say that variance is closer in high stakes, not mid stakes, but it depends how well you beat the game.

In limit, the cards have a much stronger impact on results. In NL, you can have dry cards for 2 hours, get 2 hands in a row, and you're up big for the nite. In NL, you can control much better when the money goes in, and setting your own price is extremely profitable. In limit, they can always suck out pretty cheap (relatively) in the short run.

You can also play a very low variance style of poker in NL, but in limit it's much harder.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's funny, b/c Josh gave a constructive answer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Josh does a great job, although I would say that variance is closer in high stakes, not mid stakes, but it depends how well you beat the game.

In limit, the cards have a much stronger impact on results. In NL, you can have dry cards for 2 hours, get 2 hands in a row, and you're up big for the nite. In NL, you can control much better when the money goes in, and setting your own price is extremely profitable. In limit, they can always suck out pretty cheap (relatively) in the short run.

You can also play a very low variance style of poker in NL, but in limit it's much harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the replies. Previously I basically said above quote to others, along with tidbits from Josh's reply. Just wasn't sure if there had been further discussion on the subject.

Haha I should post this in BBV and see what happens