Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Default Waiting for the river to raise with turned set?

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

This is SB from this hand VPIP 50 PFR 26 total agression - 1.4 over 200 hands or so. His range is any PP, any big Ace, total air (since I was stealing often - enough). Once he continued aggro on turn I figured him for big PP and decided I could wait for the river to raise if a non heart came.

Does anyone bump the turn instead? He is folding any bluff (100%) as well any big ace here (60%). He isn't folding a flush draw or a big PP (so I have to pay off a bet on a river heart).
Old 12-14-2006, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Waiting for the river to raise with turned set?

Will he bluff the river with a busted draw? If not I see too many excuses to call the turn not to raise. If it were a Q73Q board that's different.

EDIT: That reads funny, I mean you should raise the turn because there are too many calling hands in his range.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will he bluff the river with a busted draw? If not I see too many excuses to call the turn not to raise. If it were a Q73Q board that's different.

EDIT: That reads funny, I mean you should raise the turn because there are too many calling hands in his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I played it, I think he would have to bluff the river with a busted draw (since I hadn't shown any strength on previous streets and raised pre flop, I could easily have overcards). Does this change the answer or would you still raise the turn here? (keep in mind he only continues past that raise with a legit hand/draw, so I make no more $$ off a bluff and allow a missed draw to C/F the river).
Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. not only that, but if you EVER semibluff raise the turn because when you pick up say, a diamond draw or something, it should solicit even more action. as played i think i'm capping the river. you've underplayed your hand and TT(maybe 99)is the only hand we're worried about, right?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. not only that, but if you EVER semibluff raise the turn because when you pick up say, a diamond draw or something, it should solicit even more action. as played i think i'm capping the river. you've underplayed your hand and TT(maybe 99)is the only hand we're worried about, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am worried about 66-77-88-TT, as all those beat me now. Also (unlikely) any 9x where x is one of those above, a K or an A (maybe suited?). A river raise is usually a strong bet, and I have FAR from the nuts here, so I don't think I can cap it.

I had the guy pegged for a big hand and was sure mine was bigger till I got 3 bet on the river.

Results in white:

<font color="white"> He flipped over A7 (clubs) for the flopped open ender (never mind he was dead to 4 sixes). He makes a rivered str8 and MHING. </font>
Old 12-14-2006, 11:09 PM

whoa, i had a real misread on SB. i guess i thought his range was more selective and narrow. regardless of the river play, you really should raise that turn.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 PM

raise turn (grunch)
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 PM

Okay. Seems like the consensus is to raise the turn on this draw heavy board.

Do we change the answer against an LAG? How much rope do we extend to the guy who will keep bluffing at the pot with air and might call down a river raise with any pair?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 PM

And it's not a set, it's trips. And I'm drunk.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do we change the answer against an LAG? How much rope do we extend to the guy who will keep bluffing at the pot with air and might call down a river raise with any pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

if he'll call a river raise with any pair, he'll call the turn raise with the same and often call the river trying to pick a semibluff off from a missed draw or just seeing a big pot and throwing in the virtual chips. that board gives alot of hands in a LAGs range reason to give action. i said it before, solicit that action.