Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 02:05 PM

Default 25NL FR Stars, - AK and being a showdown muppet

I just sat down at this table. Its been about 2 weeks since I have really played, due to a combination of few days of live play, 2 colds and a bunch of kids performances. I have zero hands on the villian which does not happen very often.

My question, is what line should I of taken after the flop raise. I normally do not play TPTK hands out of position for my stack. I also have many new players take shots at me cause I have a very dorky picture of Sandy the Squirel from Spongebob as my pokerstars icon.
y
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($15.70)
UTG ($24.75)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($24.75)</font>
MP1 ($7.55)
MP2 ($31.10)
MP3 ($24.15)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($33.30)</font>
Button ($55.65)
SB ($7.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $5</font>, Hero calls $3.

I am far from thrilled with raise from the villian. It looks like this is going to be big pot with TPTK out of position. If I call, I assume I am seeing this to showdown uggh.
Board is very dry. 67 is the only draw that makes sense.

Turn: ($12.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Not trying to blast me out, but also thiking pkt 8's and 5's are certainly in the realm of possibilities. No flush possible which is good

River: ($22.35) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $13.75</font>, Hero calls $13.75 (All-In).

At this point I am getting 3-1 on the call. Results will be posted later. I am very curious how others play this.

Final Pot: $49.85
Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Re: 25NL FR Stars, - AK and being a showdown muppet

Are we viewing turn bet as weakness (price me in for my draw) or for strength (its only $5 ... call it)? Seems like a decent villain would bet $9 - $12 on the turn here given that hero PF raised, bet flop, then called the raise ... he should know hero is not weak.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we viewing turn bet as weakness (price me in for my draw) or for strength (its only $5 ... call it)? Seems like a decent villain would bet $9 - $12 on the turn here given that hero PF raised, bet flop, then called the raise ... he should know hero is not weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was very confused. If villian flops a set, its a small bet but one to not chase tptk or overpair. It also feels like villian expected to take down the pot on the flop and now he is in no mans land. At this point in the hand I concluded about 33% set, 33% AK and 33% weaker king/air. Is this wrong thinking? did I say I hate AK oop.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:28 PM

AK is hard to play prefop so I usually limp or push to a raise. I really think you are beat on this flop to a set so fold.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:36 PM

I bet the turn and fold to a raise. I dont see how you can call river as played. You are beating NOTHING.

The turn looks like a draw or maybe he's clever and wants you to raise. but typically a set bets atleast 1/2 pot here. I think he has the 76
Old 12-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Tough spot. Maybe 3bet flop or call flop lead turn for ~8/9 - folding to anymore aggression in either case (You will know for sure that you're TPTK is no good). River would be very tough though if villain just called turn lead. As played I def fold river as the likely draw just got there and this seems like an obvious value bet. I don't think he would make this bet w/ weak 1 pair hands expecting you to fold a better hand.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough spot. Maybe 3bet flop or call flop lead turn for ~8/9 - folding to anymore aggression in either case (You will know for sure that you're TPTK is no good). River would be very tough though if villain just called turn lead. As played I def fold river as the likely draw just got there and this seems like an obvious value bet. I don't think he would make this bet w/ weak 1 pair hands expecting you to fold a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem with 3 betting the flop is that my 3 bet is 10-12 bucks, committing 1/2 my stack. I dont want to 3 bet push as I only get called by sets / super draws.

If I bet out on the turn, 8-9 I am committing my self for the rest of my stack as the pot has bloated to $40 bucks and I have to call the final 10 on the river.

I posted this hand as it seems such a very common situation.

If you just call ak in early position, then it makes any raise from early position very obvious. Probabably only a few at this level would notice.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the turn and fold to a raise. I dont see how you can call river as played. You are beating NOTHING.

The turn looks like a draw or maybe he's clever and wants you to raise. but typically a set bets atleast 1/2 pot here. I think he has the 76

[/ QUOTE ]

What I beat is someone trying a tricky floater. I think he raised trying to figure out if I was frisky with smaller pockets.

Bottom line is how the [censored] do you play AK oop heads up even when you hit. How quickly do we put villians on sets. I have less than 9 hands on this guy,did not see him get out of line in my one rotation. Even if he called with a pair its far more likely he does not have a set then he does. 76 is the only draw that makes it by the river, and since I checked wdown the turh, most cases he does to and takes the free card.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM

don't go broke with 1 pair?

Tough spot, I can't imagine we are winning this hand. I guess we could 3bet the flp, maybe better would be to lead the turn and see what he does. I'm not sure.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Villain's line does make it very tricky. His flop raise is just a little more than a minraise - is he raising with a made hand or raising for a free card on the turn? Then he bets 5 into a 12+ pot when he could have taken a free card if he was drawing - is this a bet to steal the pot because he senses weakness from you or is it a value bet hoping not to scare away holdings similiar to your's. By the river I just doubt that he's getting fancy on 3 streets and throw this away. Maybe against an unknown it's best to call the small raise on the flop and c/c smallish bet on turn, and/or river? Folding on the flop just seems to weak - but maybe it's the best play until we have a better idea about whether or not villain may be getting fancy.