Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Default solid read on villain, but i think i misplayed my hand

4 mins until first break on a 11+1 buyin tournament on bodog (cant get the damn HH ffs)
anyways, i am CL at my table with around 5k chips when average is around 2.1k.
villain is to my left with 3.5k chips.
my read is that he likes to abuse the sandwich play a lot, did it two times since i was there and saw him on other times too.
anyways, i am dealt in the button 99.
blinds 30/60
utg makes it 180, utg+1 360, three people call and i call too.
villain who is SB makes it 1400. everyone folds to me and i push based on that read and based on the table being kinda lose and puttin them on high cards so they kinda cancelled each other and i was sure my pkt 9s were the best hand.
what you wouldve done?
ill post the results after a few replies, was my push good or not?

later edit: my table image was VERY TAG, showing down only powerhouse hands, pretty much very solid
Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: solid read on villain, but i think i misplayed my hand

ran this into pokerstove.
put all the callers in front on high cards > T suited or unsuited. didnt put them on pocket pair <9, i was a big favorite to that.

pretty much i couldnt put villain on anything but a stone cold bluff, or at best higher cards, and if he HAD a pocket pair based on the action in front it wouldve been <9

got this

Hand 1: 14.1223 % 13.78% 00.34% { random }
Hand 2: 29.0437 % 28.91% 00.14% { 99 }
Hand 3: 11.3068 % 09.56% 01.75% { ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
Hand 4: 11.4649 % 09.71% 01.75% { ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
Hand 5: 11.3128 % 09.58% 01.74% { ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
Hand 6: 11.3159 % 09.57% 01.75% { ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
Hand 7: 11.4337 % 09.71% 01.73% { ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }

i was a favorite against his possible holdings, and a favorite if anyone else called. i didnt think anyone in front of me had a PP higher than mine, they wouldve probably reraised.
i didnt raise on the first round preflop because i was kinda 80% sure he will do that for me because he did that whenever people showed weakness.
anyways, what do you think?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 PM

With so many people in the pot and given the blind sizes, I think you should fold this. Villian raised the pot with two raises in front of him and two callers, you either have to be insane or have a really good hand to reraise that pot. Even given his table image, I think you are beat in this situation more times than not, and probably a coin flip for the times you are not.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM

that wouldve been true if i hadnt seen him do this a few times before in that exact situation.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:45 AM

nobody wants to say anything?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:00 AM

I like the call a lot getting THAT big of a price on your money. I'd say he has AK, AQs maybe 25% of the time, given your read, 22-88 maybe 5% of the time...and obv you're getting there 20% of the time he's got overpair.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:36 AM

Your hand is transparent: It is pretty obvious you have a pocket pair <= JJ. Why not see a flop and decide what to do if you're that sure he's an ape? One thing you do have going for you is position. But I would muck this... villain would have to be absolutely oblivious to make this raise without AK or TT+.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:11 AM

Is there only a certain time period to edit your posts? I thought he was all in for 1400, not sure what I do when he makes it 1k more with 2k behind. Shove I guess if he's very loose and capable of making this play without an overpair to 9's more than 35-40% of the time...otherwise fold.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty much i couldnt put villain on anything but a stone cold bluff, or at best higher cards, and if he HAD a pocket pair based on the action in front it wouldve been <9

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a retarded assumption and it makes your entire thread worthless.

You are saying that the villain would not have raised AA here in a 5 way pot with a ton of dead money? You are saying that he would raise with 66 but not with JJ? Well, then I can't help you.

If I could be sure that the villain did not have a pair then I would call all in every time that I had a pocket pair. And there was just a little bit of dead money in t he pot to make it worth my flip

There is an absolute ton of dead money in this pot and you are getting 2:1 on your money. This is a very easy push if the villain likes to squeeze and an easy push if he does not.

You are being way too results oriented. Villain had A6s and flopped an ace, who cares? Move this thread to BBV where it belongs.

Oh... and to even consider smooth calling over pushing here is atrocious
Old 12-15-2006, 09:43 AM

Well, 3-1 immediate odds to call for hero. If hero pushes, villain gets 2.5-1 to call. With this particular villain, he will likely autopush any flop if we call preflop. As far as smooth calling preflop, I simply see it as more prudent to see a flop to see if an A or K hits before considering to fold, as villain is never folding if we push preflop, but we might save 2K when the flop is terrible. Why do think smooth calling terrible? (I still think he should fold preflop, but I don't see the problem with smooth calling)