Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2006, 03:23 AM

Default LC: uNLers please help me re: moving up/getting better

Allright uNL

First of all I'd like to thank all the posters here for the excellent posts and advice. Even though I don't post much I lurk here all the time. I am thinking about moving up, and would like some input about the best way to do so.

I currently play 50NL 6max on Stars and 4 table with small (resized) tables on my 15' monitor.

I am looking for thoughts and advice about moving up to NL100. First let me say that I try to adhere to the 20 buyin rule (moved up to NL50 at $1000 bankroll). My BR just crossed the $2K mark, AND I just got a 20' monitor, and can therefore play more tables without overlap at Stars if I choose.

What do you recommend is the best play and why?

1) Just move up to 100NL and see how it goes, move down if you lose "x" buyins. (x=??)

2) Stay at NL50 and get better at poker (~5 PTBB/100 isn't good enough to move up)

3) Stay at NL50 and add more tables to increase your $$/hr now that you have a decent monitor.

4) Stars? No RB or bonus? ugh...

5) Other??

Here's my graph since My 6max NL career started, and stats as well.....please let me know if you see any glaring problems.

Thanks for all the help and input!!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: LC: uNLers please help me re: moving up/getting better

Take five buyin shots when moving up, other than that I say go with your gut

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2006, 03:32 AM

Lots of those choices sound like personal preferences to me.

You are clearly a winning player where you are currently playing.

If you want to get that bankroll looking good, I'd look into 6-tabling your current stakes, but if you are ready to take a shot, by all means, go at it. I'd drop back down if I lost 6 buyins, and then take another stab when I earned it back at NL50.

Personally, I'm conservative. If I were you, I'd add more tables, and get 25 buyins for the next level, then move up, and if I lost it back down to 20 buyins, drop down and do it again. I'd definately stick with 4-tabling when you first move up though, since you seem more than comfortable with that.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:00 AM

I use the 40 buy in rule. I ran at 8PTBB/100 over 45K hands at NL 50 built up to $4,000. Then, through a $650 bonus and winning, i got up to $5600 at NL100. Then I hit a big downswing. Im currently sitting at $3700 and doing a small rebuild.

I play 4-6 tables btw.

NL100 is not easy unless you get great games without any regulars. Id suggest building up a much bigger roll if you want any shot at longevity at NL100.

Variance is a beetch at NL100, there are a bunch of VERY agressive players who will put ur whole stack at risk when ur like 60/40.

Id say take ur shot, but if you want longevity, build more. Oh yeah and try to find out who the regulars at NL100 are and avoid them.

- - -Advice from someone who is in ur boat. - - -
Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Id say take ur shot, but if you want longevity, build more. Oh yeah and try to find out who the regulars at NL100 are and avoid them.

- - -Advice from someone who is in ur boat. - - -

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks for the advice so far...anyone who's gone to NL100 care to chime in on how the game is different??
Old 12-14-2006, 04:13 AM

I don't know, certainly you're a winning player but I'm going to have to suggest that you stay at NL50 given your winrate isn't super (please don't take offense) so in the event variance gets the best of you with your bankroll it's going to take a little longer to build back up. Beating NL50 for ~10ptbb/100 is doable. I would add more tables and move up once you're 6 tabling and comfortably beating NL50 for around 7ptbb/100.

Edit: Taking a shot is fine too though I just think it would be more productive to try more tables first.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, certainly you're a winning player but I'm going to have to suggest that you stay at NL50 given your winrate isn't super (please don't take offense) so in the event variance gets the best of you with your bankroll it's going to take a little longer to build back up. Beating NL50 for ~10ptbb/100 is doable. I would add more tables and move up once you're 6 tabling and comfortably beating NL50 for around 7ptbb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense taken..as a reader of this forum I def. know that 5ptbb/100 is mediocre I absolutely appreciate your input. See any obv. leaks on the stats BTW??
Old 12-14-2006, 04:22 AM

yo yo yo

here is my advice (comin from a big tyme nit)

play more at 50nl. add 2 tables as 6 is a good number to b playin and see if u can get ur pp/100higher. 5 isnt terrible but i would want to say that between 6-7 would b wut i would strive for bfore i feel comfortable moving up.

but obv moving up and takin a shot isnt bad at all since u have the br and all. if u feel like u r playin well and wanna try it out go for it and see if u run well at the begining. that will honestly b the most important part imo. if u run good to start u will b fine but if not u will hate it and think it is hella tough and have to drop down (which isnt that bad n e wayz)

either way tho i think u kno wut u should do. if u feel comfortble tryin it out for 5ish buy ins then go for it obv. if u r un easy wait another 10k hands and then reevaluate
Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 AM

Hey, I personally play 100NL right now. Its pretty soft. Move up, take a 5-8 BI shot, whatever you want, but make sure its at least 5 BI. You need to give yourself a chance.

Read a ton of SSNL. I recommend this for all of you. Especially my posts. They are right, always.

Most importantly, while you are only beating 50NL for 5PTBB, if you try to move up and play 10k hands at 100NL before losing, I guarantee when you move back down to 50NL, you WR will move up to at least 6PTBB/100.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:20 PM

Thanks for all the advice...I am thinking about staying at 50NL for 10K more hands and go from there