Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Moving Up, Moving Down and BankRoll Observations

I currently have a 38 buy-in bankroll and play NL25 at 5BB/100 at 2 tables. This is not a brag, just setting the scene for my question.

When I have a downswing, I often go down to NL10 for a few days to gain some confidence, but I find that I am a little unmotivated because its only a $10 buy-in compared to my bankroll, so I make a lot of stupid plays. Its not that I don't respect the players, its just that I don't respect the money on the table.

The forum always talks about the 20 buy-in rule for moving up levels, but do you think there is a point where your bankroll can get too big for your current level?

For example if someone had $2000 can they effectively play at NL25 or do they need the bankroll challenge of going to NL50/100?

Perhaps its simply a matter of discipline, but I was interested in other people's observations.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Moving Up, Moving Down and BankRoll Observations

It all depends on you !!

But don't move down ... just take a break or play thru it. Feel free to move up, when you feel like it.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:49 AM

cash out 800 and buy ur self sumtin fun to play with. then u will have a cool new toy and also feel motivated to play more
Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 AM

When to move up or down is as much a question of psychology as it is of game mastery or bankroll status. If youre not ready, youre just not ready.

That said, its often beneficial to do something uncomfortable. That's how we grow. Think about bench presses. Its the same thing. You press a weight thats difficult for you because it makes your muscles grow. Next time, that same weight is a little easier.

Poker is the same way. Take a shot at NL50 a few times. I bet when you go back to NL25 afer a few shots it will seem too easy, and youll think to yourself, "i dont want to play nl25 anymore."
Old 12-14-2006, 02:31 AM

I think it is a good lesson to try and force yourself to make good decisions and play proper even with the small amount of money.

Discipline is EV+.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cash out 800 and buy ur self sumtin fun to play with. then u will have a cool new toy and also feel motivated to play more

[/ QUOTE ]

bad idea if you are looking to move up more. your winnings are just reinvestments into yourself as a player. if you are uncomfortable moving up, buy in short at a higher level a couple of times and then if you are winning there, buy in max and play at that level.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bad idea if you are looking to move up more. your winnings are just reinvestments into yourself as a player. if you are uncomfortable moving up, buy in short at a higher level a couple of times and then if you are winning there, buy in max and play at that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Cashing out and rewarding yourself is certainly +EV! If you only move up and up when your bankroll grows you have nothing to show for it if you do go busto. At only 5PTBB/100 it might be a good idea to stay at 25NL not to build bankroll but to sharpen your game. So if he is going to stay at 25NL for another 10k hands or so to get better, then he should cash out a little and buy himself something.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:03 AM

Take advantage of what you can, while you can. It's a game of money, so why not try to win it if you know you can?