Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Default TP NK - sandwiched between agg & calling station

Garden City 20/40, 9 handed. UTG who has been here for 1 lap is somewhat loose/calling station and open raises.
hijack calls
new guy who posted between button and SB calls. It is his first hand and I don't have any background on him. He waited two hands, but then did not take the big blind.
SB who is somewhat loose calls
I'm in the big blind with 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and call
Flop is 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 players - 10 small bets.
Poster bets out
SB folds
I raise!
UTG calls,
HJ folds
Poster 3-bets.
At this point I wish I new more about Poster and UTG. What now?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Re: TP NK - sandwiched between agg & calling station

Call and raise a safe turn, drop it on the turn if UTG wakes up or if poster does not slow down when something scary falls(big [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] etc.)
Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 PM

I'm not ready to fold top pair yet, and I'd like to see a turn card before reevaluating the strength of our hand. I'd probably call the 3-bet and gauge UTG's reaction to putting in this many chips post-flop. If the turn card is a non-spade, non-A/K, I probably raise poster's turn bet as the last $ I put into the pot. This should get UTG to fold a lot of hands with outs, and we might get a free showdown from poster when he slows down on the river. If he stop-n-goes on the river (like if it's a spade or a J or something), then you can most likely fold.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:47 AM

This sure does look like a dangerous raise on the flop since pre-flop raiser may be more likely that most players to have an over pair since he likes to call more that he likes to raise,being a calling station.Also,this(being a calling station) makes it less likely that he will fold the flop with overcards,reducing the chance of being able to protect your hand with the raise.

Still,with all this being said,I guess you still have to raise,even if it may be more dangerous & less effective than normally.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Turn Action

[ QUOTE ]
Garden City 20/40, 9 handed. UTG who has been here for 1 lap is somewhat loose/calling station and open raises.
hijack calls
new guy who posted between button and SB calls. It is his first hand and I don't have any background on him. He waited two hands, but then did not take the big blind.
SB who is somewhat loose calls
I'm in the big blind with 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and call
Flop is 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 players - 10 small bets.
Poster bets out
SB folds
I raise!
UTG calls,
HJ folds
Poster 3-bets.
At this point I wish I new more about Poster and UTG. What now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the replies.

Clearly, my fold to the 3-bet on the flop was a mistake. I gave the poster's 3-bet too much credit and didn't think about my outs to improve. So ....

UTG calls and the turn is J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Poster checks, and UTG checks.

If I was still in the hand and the poster checked to me, is it an easy bet?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Turn Action

[ QUOTE ]

If I was still in the hand and the poster checked to me, is it an easy bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:52 AM

i dont fold for one bet on the flop with top pair. there are a lot of draws he could be betting on a flop like that esp if he is a poster.

definite bet if checked to you on the turn. i dont think UTG has a made hand if he only calls the 3 bets on the flop.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:32 PM

If the poster checked on the turn I would bet any non-A/K/ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].