Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 12:39 PM

Default 5NL, AJo misses, c-bet?

Here two situations I struggle with arise. How to play AJ and to c=bet or not to c-bet.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.05
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $4.53
UTG+1: $4.28
MP1: $2.65
Esmerelda: $10.03
CO: $14.51
Button: $1.86
SB: $11.92
BB: $17.93

Pre-flop: (8 players) Esmerelda is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Esmerelda

I find AJ hard to play in general. Are you always raising 4bb + 1/limper? From any position? How much does suitedness affect your decision?

I am halfway tempted to limp here. I know I will get calls cuz' there are a ton of loose callers at this table. I am not looking forward to playing a big pot oop with AJo.

raises to $0.3</font>, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

I raise and shocking CO and Button both fold.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.97, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Esmerelda ???

To c-bet or not? I am thinking 2 villains who checked probabably means they missed the K and will credit me with AK if I bet. Board is not very scary so I am leaning toward a c=bet. Anyone have a different take? More issues to consider?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:43 PM

Default Re: 5NL, AJo misses, c-bet?

Bet .50 and try and pick it up. Chances are you'll get rid of one. Then fire the second bullet if checked to you and take it down, depending on the turn card. I'd say that 30% of the time you take it with the first c bet, if checked to you, probably another 50% of the time you take it down with the second.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:46 PM

The problem with c-betting at these stakes is villians are likely to call with any part of the board however since the board is non-drawy and you can represent the K, I prolly bet 2/3rds pot and give up if called.

As to playing A-J in general, if you know you will get callers then it is probably best to raise as more often than not you will get called by hands you dominate rather than vice versa.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:52 PM

I usually raise AJ. Sometimes I'll just fold it from EP if it's AJo. If the tables very loose I may limp it ~10%. I would lean toward a C-Bet also - depends on how loose post flop these 2 were.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I would cbet unless these opponents have shown no ability to fold postflop.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:11 PM

I play 6 max and usually fold AJo from the first two positions, and raise from latter positions or if suited.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 PM

Raise or fold preflop. Either is OK, although folding is a bit tight in this position. Its probably better UTG.

Opponents' checks are pretty meaningless here. Very few villains would lead out with a strong hand here, because they expect a c-bet, and if you have air, then they would prefer to snap off your c-bet than lead out and see you fold. C-betting with no pair, no draw into 2 opponents is not going to be that profitable, but its probably just about worth it here. If called, shut down unless you hit an A, or have a read that you are being called down light a lot, and that villain won't get stubborn if you fire again.