Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2006, 02:33 AM

Default A situation i never know how to play, again with the miniraise...

UB 109. Blinds 150/300 25 ante. Big stack is new to table and has 22000, i have 7000 in the BB with TT. Big stack is in MP.

Preflop:Folds to MP, MP raises to 600, folds to me in BB, i call.

Flop: 8 8 7 (pot 1425)
I check, MP insta bets pot.

Yea i know its a common spot and i just don't know what to do here. Help me out.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: A situation i never know how to play, again with the miniraise...

against mminraisers, i just raise to 2k PF here and push flop....

.....then bust out when they show AA.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:48 AM

I know its a stupid play, but god these people throw me off with this crap.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:00 AM

i cant answer this one because these situation are all about reads. if he minraises often then check/call every street. if he has never minraise before then i might just fold. you got to figure out their betting patterns.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:15 AM

I would try to take 'er down PF with a big reraise since I'm out of position; that probably won't have much FE, but you'll probably be ahead, or at least get a better idea if he has a big pair or not. After the flop, why are you checking? What kind of flop are you looking for to bet out? You need to bet out to define your hand. Don't go nuts and push, because you have way too many chips for that, but by checking and relinquishing control of the hand to your opponent, you have gotten yourself into a predicament. Just bet 3/4-pot on the flop because it almost certainly didn't hurt you, and see what he does. Stay aggressive and make sure your opponents don't push you off winning hands.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant answer this one because these situation are all about reads. if he minraises often then check/call every street. if he has never minraise before then i might just fold. you got to figure out their betting patterns.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Big stack is new to table

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I hate these as well...it's either a shove or a fold, but which one is beyond me readless [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 AM

this kind of hand doesnt have a "default" play, pretty much you go with the reads of the villain and his previous actions in other pots. i wouldve reraised him preflop to at least have an idea where i stand (probably to 2k-2.5k chips to show him you are serious about putting your money in.
if he just came there it may be the idea of him being the big stack and being bullying the table so i think that reraise preflop was mandatory. his bet pot made sens somehow because you didnt show any strength, just a simple call from the BB (you had to pay only 2 BB to see a flop), and the check was very bad too.
anyways, in this situation i would probably shove, i really cant think he is ahead, he bet pot, if he had a big pair and you showed weakness i would either checked again or lead for 1/2 pot, not whole pot, i want your chips, i dont want you to fold. i think he has 99, or a smaller than 7 PP or AT+ KT+
my thoughts.. anyways dont mind me im at work and trying to make sense
Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I hate these as well...it's either a shove or a fold, but which one is beyond me readless [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeahdidnt see he was new. so it is a tough spot, but i think that shoving here is horrible. either call or fold. what is the purpose of shoving?
i think by default i call here and check/call te rest of the streets
Old 12-13-2006, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even WITH reads I'm not shoving a 23bb stack over the top of a minraiser. You only get called by the hands that you are losing to (or, in some cases, flipping with). Fold or reraise preflop since you are going to be out of position for the rest of the hand and you want to get the villain here to define his hand as early as possible. Most villains will put in a 3rd raise preflop and you can easily fold there saving yourself the rest of your stack when they have a monster.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeahdidnt see he was new. so it is a tough spot, but i think that shoving here is horrible. either call or fold. what is the purpose of shoving?
i think by default i call here and check/call te rest of the streets

[/ QUOTE ]

You shove to protect your hand - even if you are best now you are probably vulnerable. Plus if he has a lower pair we are losing value if we just call and an overcard comes it will kill our action. I don't know what to do here but there is some benefit to shoving. I think not leading the flop was a big mistake here