Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 PM

Default Betting Pot instead of 1/2 pot to make draws pay vs fish

First, I do not claim to be a great player, but I do think I'm better than the majority of the people I play against in our weekly games. Anyways, I play a fairly tight game, mixing the occasionly deception plays with suited connectors.

Anyways, when I played Premium hands (I consider AA, KK, QQ, AK) before I used to raise 3xBB then fire out half pot as either a continuation bet or to protect if I hit a pair. I found myself getting run down many times. I know it was a relatively small sample compared to the "long run" but still it felt like my bets weren't protecting anything. And while I know the others were making a mistake calling, because I rarely paid them off if they hit cause they practically jump out of their seat (and no they aren't good enough to give off the reverse tell there), it was only a small mistake it seems. So lately I've been betting almost the pot and it seems to chase people away more, and I've noticed a pot bet on the flop makes the pot big enough on the turn that if they miss their draw I usually move in and take it down and gain a good pot out of it.

Anyways, just wanted to give out a little bit about what I changed in my game and see if anyone wanted to chime in.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Betting Pot instead of 1/2 pot to make draws pay vs fish

betting the pot is certainly not the ideal thing to do unless the pot is so small you need to protect against draws... a good sized bet i find to continuation is 3/4 whether i hit or not.. betting pot means the only thing calling you is beating u if u have missed... u dont need to waste that money
Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Betting Pot instead of 1/2 pot to make draws pay vs fish

Well actually I agree. Not sure why I said pot, usually I bet around 80% pot.

[ QUOTE ]
betting the pot is certainly not the ideal thing to do unless the pot is so small you need to protect against draws... a good sized bet i find to continuation is 3/4 whether i hit or not.. betting pot means the only thing calling you is beating u if u have missed... u dont need to waste that money

[/ QUOTE ]