Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 03:56 PM

Default Dealer\'s Choice

Kinda curious to hear if and what poker variations everybody is playing at their respective home games.

One of the games I regularly play at is a Dealer's Choice game. While we mostly play NL Holdem and Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo, around 3 deals a round are some of these games:

KINGS AND WEENIES (Also known as Kings and Little) - 5 Draw with Kings AND the lowest card in your hand WILD. 5 of a kind is the best possible hand as with any wildcard game.

5 DRAW JACKS OR BETTER - Must have at least a pair of Jacks to open the betting. If nobody can open, we re-ante and redeal and repeat until somebody can open.

HIGH SPADE IN THE HOLE (Also known as "Chicago".) - 7 Stud. High spade in your hole cards splits half the pot. Dealer can also call this low spade, high diamond, high heart, low heart, etc.

CONTAGIOUS - 7 Stud with Suited Connectors wild. I.E. 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] both become whatever you need them to be. This applies to your hand only.

FOLLOW THE QUEEN - 7 card game. While it can be played in 7 stud format, 90% of the time it's dealt as "No Peek". What this means is you get all 7 of your cards FACE DOWN. Left of dealer goes first. He flips a card and decides wether to check or bet. The next person must then beat that person's board. I.E. If first person flips an Ace, the next person must keep flipping cards until they can beat Ace high. Once that happens he then checks or bets. We have also implimented a Match Pot Rule if you look at your cards. This is evil. I almost forgot! The most important part! If a Queen is flipped up the very next card is wild. If another Queen is flipped up later in the hand, the next card flipped becomes wild and the original wildcard returns to normal value.

OMAHA 2ND CARD ON THE FLOP IS WILD - This is pretty self explainitory.

RAZZ - 7 Stud. Lowest possible hand wins. 54321 is the best possible hand.

PINEAPPLE - Hold em variant. 3 cards dealt preflop to each person. There's a round of betting and then whoever is still in discards 1 card before the flop.

CRAZY PINEAPPLE - Same as Pineapple, but, the 1 card discard happens on the flop.

Anybody playing anything "crazy" too?

This game has been pretty good to me. I normally cash out with 2-3 buyins profit in a 2-3 hour period. Losing is VERY rare.

G O N E F O R E V E R
Old 12-12-2006, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Dealer\'s Choice

My game's lineup:

LHE, NLHE, PLHE, PLO, Limit O, O8(usually limit), stud, stud8, razz, 2-7 triple draw, a-5 triple draw, jacks or better draw, and crazy pineapple. Occasionally played but not often, no limit 2-7 lowball, NL or PL A-5 lowball, pineapple hi-lo, and stud hi-lo no qualifier.

Whenever the button makes a complete orbit the next person calls the game.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:35 PM

Badugi
Old 12-12-2006, 07:39 PM

We've been setting up a second table as dealer's choice, and it's becoming a hit. Although we do a full orbit +1 with each choice, which is usually good, except when some joker picks a screwball game. Here are a couple that nobody likes:

1-2-3: Lowball draw game, you get three cards, three chances to draw. A23 is the best hand.

4-4-4: This one's mildly interesting. Each player gets four cards and four cards are dealt face-down on the board. You can use any combination of your hand the board for a 5-card hand, 4s are wild. Turn up the first board card, betting. Repeat with each additional card.

We've only done it a few times, but Pot Limit Omaha (hi or hi/lo) has proven very fun and expensive. Stud is also always good. Me, I'm a big fan of Razz. Haven't tried any of the Pineapple games yet, might give 'em a go.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMAHA 2ND CARD ON THE FLOP IS WILD - This is pretty self explainitory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are wild cards really necessary in Omaha? The game is already enough of a crapshoot.

As for us , in addition to most of the games on your list we play Triple Draw, Badugi, Double flop holdem, 5 card draw 2 draws of 2, that Omaha variant where you deal everyone their hands then put out one flop card, that's about all i can think of at the moment.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4-4-4: This one's mildly interesting. Each player gets four cards and four cards are dealt face-down on the board. You can use any combination of your hand the board for a 5-card hand, 4s are wild. Turn up the first board card, betting. Repeat with each additional card.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love this game. we call it 'four-fourty four'. very fun game when playin a friendly game.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:37 AM

Anyone ever play
sliders or criss cross or L or guts.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Hmm.. Never played either of these. 444 sounds interesting. I might have to break that one out next session.

G O N E F O R E V E R
Old 12-13-2006, 01:09 PM

Lol. I'm the only one that ever calls Omaha 2nd card wild. Honestly, the major reason I deal it is that it confuses people. When people are confused they make bad decisions. I use this to my benefit. =)

G O N E F O R E V E R
Old 12-13-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever play
sliders or criss cross or L or guts.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEARS ago I played with some people that play Guts. Nobody I know has even mentioned the game in the last 3 years or more.

Criss Cross. I've also heard it called Iron Cross. I don't like this game simply because there's far too many betting rounds before you actually get some info. For instance, there's 3 betting rounds before one of the flops has 2 cards revealed.

I've also played with some people that deal it as the center card is wild. This is a major vacuum as you must call 5 betting rounds before you find out what the wild card is. People really like this game though.

I prefer to hang on to my money and use it in games that I know I have an edge.

G O N E F O R E V E R