Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM

Default NL5 Weak suited Ace in SB again.

What to do with A2s in a multiway limped(minraised) pot. Seems like folding is giving up value but I feel like I am leaking with these hands, especially out of the blinds.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.02/$0.05
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $5.95
UTG+1: $9.60
MP1: $10.03
MP2: $16.97
MP3: $2.48
CO: $23.02
Button: $4.49
Esmerelda: $12.97
BB: $3.86

Pre-flop: (9 players) Esmerelda is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 raises to $0.1</font>, 2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Esmerelda calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Fold? With dead money in the pot a call seems OK and a raise is not an option.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.5, 5 players)
Esmerelda checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 bets $0.35</font>, CO folds, Esmerelda ???

As usual I wish I had folded PF. Do you lead this flop? I was thinking too many villains and I don't want a big pot, really when I see this I think that I just want see a check fest.

As played do you float, c/r bluff or fold?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 AM

Default Re: NL5 Weak suited Ace in SB again.

Preflop limping might be ok. Your major mistake seems to be that You can't get rid of Your hand on the flop. With A2s, You are not looking to hit 1 pair and start calling or chasing with that kind of crap! There is no real question left, because this is a fold. If You play that hand out of the SB, You are looking for the nut flush draw, for trip 2s for 2 pair or for some kind of a combo draw. You can play these hands from the SB with profit, but You have to be able to release these hands on semi strong flops. If You are not able to do that, calling is a very bad play.

I play any hand from the SB if no one raises preflop in front of me. And I think it's profitable. But it's profitable only because I have no problem to release hands where I hit one pair only. You can't take any heat with top pair no kicker or middle pair, middle kicker. And starting to call someone down with those holdings is a sure way to loose money.

For me, playing trash hands out of the SB and BB is one of the major sources to stack people. But I'm able to release my hands if I don't hit a monster.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 AM

I don't see any reason you can't call there preflop. If it were bet 3x bb you probably could fold if you don't like the hand much, but not for a minraise. Ax suited is a pretty solid hand that can flop a nut draw that can be quite profitable in a multiway pot. I wouldn't play it oop, but a call seems to be the correct move here.

After the flop the guy has put you in a tough position. I don't think you can properly float here since you're not in position (unless I'm shaky on its definition), and a c/r bluff is just asking for trouble. I'm probably folding here, but a call is not terrible since there's a chance he'll check behind on the turn or that a backdoor flush draw will come off for you.

Add: I'm probably going to lead out on that flop. It's been my (profitable) policy to do so with 2PMK or better. Fold after that if you get raised too much.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:19 AM

I did fold, fwiw. Just wanted some input on this type of hand.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 AM

Preflop is ok I guess.

Fold the flop.

I'm looking to float never at this limit.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:06 PM

Preflop is great; you have a hand that does extremely well in a multi-way pot. The price is very reasonable, too. However, have a plan for this hand: you're playing fit-or-fold on the flop. "Fit" means two pair or better, or a flush draw. Hitting your ace means you MISSED, and you fold. Every time. Without hesitation. Without regrets. If you hit a flop of AAx, I'd still be quite hesitant to pay a huge price for it, because in a five-way (min)raised pot the case ace could easily be out there, and if it is it has you outkicked with certainty.

If I hit my heart draw, I'm leading the flop for $0.30 or so, hoping to scoop the pot immediately but happy to get it all-in on the flop or to continue on to later streets.

If I hit A2x on the flop, I'm going for a check-raise, and it's not going to be a small check-raise.

If I hit 22x on the flop I'm leading small (again, $0.30 sounds good) and hoping to get some action from overcards to build that pot fast.

Otherwise, I'm check/folding. Five-way, it takes an absolute miracle for me to try bluffing into a raised pot when I wasn't the one raising it.

You were right to fold.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:09 PM

Preflop -&gt; Suited ace here warrants a limp

Flop -&gt; Multi-way pot, top pair s kicker, and you are oop. My opinion is lead for half pot if you are called or raised you can walk away from your crappy ace. I don't think a check fold is horrible either, with no real draws.

Weak aces are way often second best hands. You clearly are looking to flop the nut flush / draw, or a pair of twos, or two pair. 3 4 5 wouldnt suck either. Flopping an ace isnt good, lead and fold like a cbet, or check fold when all you hit is the ace.