Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 PM

Default 99 against super lag/tilter

So, I'm not always limping 99 here, but I do like to mix it up and since the table was getting kind of aggressive I thought it might be a good spot to limp re-raise against one of the lags and take down a decent pot without even a flop (that would be nice, eh?)

so everyone folds to the BB who's quite a lag and prob on tilt since I stacked him when he had AA. So I do the limp reraise thing, he calls...what a surprise. The flop is pretty nice too, only one overcard. So he makes a sheepish bet at the pot, so I raise, another heart...ewww. I call 4, he pushes river, and now there's another over, of course I reluctantly call but at this point I think the pot is offering me sufficient odds to see if has 88, 77, or a smaller pair... or AQ, AK or Ax with one heart and missed the flush..
any thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

BB ($28.85)
UTG ($27.25)
Hero ($65.65)
CO ($50.30)
Button ($37.95)
SB ($60.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9, 9.
[color=#666666]1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.50, [color=#666666]3 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]BB raises to $2</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $6</font>, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($12.25) 4, J, 2 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets $2</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $8</font>, BB calls $6.

Turn: ($28.25) T [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

River: ($36.25) 2 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets $10.85 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $10.85.

Final Pot: $57.95
Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Re: 99 against super lag/tilter

You need to set Format to 2+2 forums. I would also always raise such a small bet on the flop, I don't really understand peole who make bets like that, usually indicates a weak player to me. The turn odds are rather good so I the call is good (a fold here would be strange after raising the flop). If you have good reads on BB (especially that he is on tilt) I can understand your river call. I must add though that I don't play NL 50 and have less experience with such tricky situations.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:46 PM

oh duh, you're right. I havent posted in awhile, forgot to change that. Yeah I was basically just wondering if this was a straight pot odds call given the situation. On the river I'm getting over 3.5 to 1.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 PM

I don't think this is something where one can just say call or don't call. BB has to have a worse hand than you 25 % of the time for this to be + EV. If you think this is the case then call.
His small bets are rather irritating in this hand, I find it hard to put him on a sensible hand range. I also don't know which hands he would call a limp raise with in this situation, if he is on tilt probably any hand he would raise with.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 PM

Normally when I see weak bets such as these it means non-nut flush draw or, more often, a weak top pair who is attempting to figure out if he's good. If you know this is a player who won't lay down top pair, maybe you could just let this go after he calls the flop raise. But, the odds are so good and if he is tilting I can see how you called.

Edit: the more I look at this the more confused I get! If I had to guess what he showed I would go with J-10, but I have no idea. I might have just shoved the turn out of principle (I hate these weak bets!). I don't think you're good here, but I don't think I could fold!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 PM

I hate it. Why are you limp reraising a lag with a pair of 99s? You know those will be hard to play OOP against the lag, and now your just bloating the pot pretty badly. besides that, there's a lot of good EV in limping or just preflop raising.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 PM

well in this hand I am actually in position, and it wasnt a full table, so hand values went up.

fwiw, villain had 77, one of the few hands that I beat. Mainly due to the weak bets I felt I was likely to be good for another hand where villain had 77 he flopped a set of sevens and nearly bet the pot.