Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Back to school

I have accepted a part-time staff position at the local liberal arts college advising the school's newspaper.

I'm five years out of college. Any advice for connecting with today's undergrads?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Back to school

If you're only 5 years out of college, I highly doubt you're going to have much of a problem. I help on a student submission literature journal and our advisor is just a 30-something professor. She is easy going and fun to talk to....so basically...

You'll be fine bud.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 AM

I am 32 and just went back to school. I though it would be hard to relate to the students, but it's not. Just don't try to act like an old guy who is trying to be hip.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:21 AM

College kids still like to get drunk, smoke, not do work, and party. Just don't try to act like you know all about today's music scene, etc. unless you truly do. Understand/remember that students don't want to work and you'll be a cool advisor.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:40 AM

Is part of your job connecting with undergrads or do you just want to be cool and hip? (I think this may affect my answer)
Old 12-12-2006, 08:42 AM

I don't want to be cool and hip. I mean I do, but I'll only be on campus ten hours/week max, so I'm not after that "coolest staff member" title. I guess what I'm really trying to cultivate is respect, which I know is earned through action and not gimmicks, but I want students involved in the newspaper to appreciate the work we do together. My adviser had a big impact on me, and I'm excited about this opportunity to do the same at another school.

The reason I'm seeking advice is because the newspaper is a start-up, and I know the few students I work with are going to have to put a lot of time into getting this off the ground, and I definitely don't want them worrying about having to work with me to do it.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:29 PM

If you want them to respect you just be available for whatever they need/whenever they need it. Also, KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. At my school most of the advisors have no idea how many things work, but they act like they do. This sucks, and the advising program has very little respect as a result.