Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Default My First DIY...

teetering on the fence about the car still so in the meantime I decided to fix mine up to either grab those last 40k miles or to sell it.

91 Accord EX (212k miles on it)

the work:
seafoam engine treatment (white smoke was awesome)
replaced sparks/wires/distrib cap/rotor
oil/tranny fluid replaced (at Express Oil -- I don't have jack stands...yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

the upcoming work:
Replacing the VSS and flushing/replacing the coolant this thursday or friday (have both days off woot!)

All goes well and I decide to keep it till the death...then I'll be replacing the oil and oil pan gasket in 4k miles (myself) and getting the front right axle replaced (in a shop $230).

Million - you would have been so proud of me.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Re: My First DIY...

What's the picture from? I know it's not your accord and it looks very much like a Fox body Mustang.

The great thing about old cars is once you reach a certain point the depreciation doesn't hurt you. If you can keep it running without spending a bunch of money you're freerolling.

BTW, on most cars the oil-pan gasket is a bastard of a job. Unless it was leaking really bad I wouldn't want to deal with it. How often are you putting oil in it?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the picture from? I know it's not your accord and it looks very much like a Fox body Mustang.

The great thing about old cars is once you reach a certain point the depreciation doesn't hurt you. If you can keep it running without spending a bunch of money you're freerolling.

BTW, on most cars the oil-pan gasket is a bastard of a job. Unless it was leaking really bad I wouldn't want to deal with it. How often are you putting oil in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

picture is from google images...so don't know.

bought the car w/ 150k mi back in early 2k2 for $4k...have had timing belt/water pump, front axles replaced, alternator, and new radiator aside from regular maintenance. I would say everything from here on out is free-rolling.

There is slight oil leakage down there but have never had a problem w/ oil levels.

Doesn't seem to be much to the gasket change from what I've read...with the exception of getting the criss-cross screw tightening patter right when replacing the oil pan. Could you tell me in a little more detail what steps are so troubling?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM

It would be model dependent. If you can get to all the bolts and drop it straight down without having to pull the motor then it would be pretty easy. On most cars there are obstructions like crossmembers/exhaust pipes/suspension components that don't allow you to drop the pan with the motor in the car. It could be a piece of cake.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 PM

ahh, that would be a pain... I'm fairly certain my honda accord will oil pan will drop straight out.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 PM

also looks like i'll be replacing my valve cover gasket and spark plug seals this thursday. (kit at autozone ~$25)

will give me a chance to clean it up (degreasing and sanding) and paint it with some wrinkle paint ($6)

something similar to this...

Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 AM

Do you have maintenance manuals for your car? You can do practically anything if you have the manual and the right tools, you'll be surprised how easy it is for jobs that a shop would charge you hundreds or thousands of dollars for.

Have you verified that wrinkle paint can withstand the heat that a valve cover goes through? I don't know anything about it, but most paints won't last very long there. I'd look into powder coating if you haven't already.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have maintenance manuals for your car? You can do practically anything if you have the manual and the right tools, you'll be surprised how easy it is for jobs that a shop would charge you hundreds or thousands of dollars for.

[/ QUOTE ]

hanging out on the honda forums...but yes, they speak of "helms" manuals a lot. You are right, with a manual and tools everything is doable. pneumatic lift, and air tools and I'd attempt my front axle replacement.

for the stuff that I've done/will do...
- sparks/wires/dist cap/rotor ~$65 in parts I was quoted about $180
- vss ~$33 in parts I was quoted $250 (was a honda vss not aftermarket...but still)
- oil pan gasket ~$25 parts I was quoted $150
- coolant flush/replacement I was just quoted $70...but the parts will be less than half.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you verified that wrinkle paint can withstand the heat that a valve cover goes through? I don't know anything about it, but most paints won't last very long there. I'd look into powder coating if you haven't already.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a brand called VHT wrinkle paint that is recommended...VeryHighTempuratur...that is supposed to with stand the heat.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:49 PM

tomorrow's agenda...

- flush coolant system and replace fluid

- replace valve cover gasket and spark plug seals

Old 12-14-2006, 12:03 AM

there are a ton of online manuals for free for different honda's.

Let me know I just did the same oil plug grommets on my 93 civic dx. You sortof have to flap them over, u'll figure it out, at first I thought i had the wrong part.

I worked on a ton of honda's even turbocharged an 1993 accord f23 with a 4g63 mani and turbo, with some dsm injectors to boot, also used a 2jz supra intercooler side mount. Anyways, let me know how it's going. It's very satisfying doing things on your own.