Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 09:50 AM

Default ready to switch to 6-max - is SSHE still good?

I've been playing a mix of NL and Limit for almost two years. After a very bad run this past week, I've realized that I'm mostly into playing for bonuses and rakeback and not really that into 4-tabling full ring limit for 1BB/100. So I'm ready to focus on the rakeback / bonus game of choice: 6-max limit (2/4 and 3/6 - whatever WPX has going).

I've read SSHE twice and I'm pretty sure it's the main reason I'm anywhere near break-even online. But as I've played some 6-max, I wonder if ALL of the starting hand recommendations (I use "tight" exclusively) are still valid. Some examples:

1.) They want there to be one limper before you play A9s or 22-66 in MP. MP, in this game, is UTG and UTG+1. I should open-fold these now?

2.) They never play Axo, ever. A9o seems definitely worth a raise if it's folded to me on the button or in SB, right? Can we say the same about A7o?

3.) Any hand that you play from LP, if it's folded to you, you're supposed to raise. I feel like, in these looser games, SB and BB will call (correctly) with anything halfway decent when I raise QTo and 44. What I'm noticing already is that I'll miss the flop a ton, c-bet a ton, get c/r'ed a ton, call light a ton, and pay off goofy donks a ton.

Let's just start with those three. Clear answers there might help me see how to modify my starting hand selection.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Re: ready to switch to 6-max - is SSHE still good?

1)Some 2+2ers raise A9s from UTG, UTG+1 is ok for me.
I also raise 66 UTG+1 if the table is semi-tight, openlimp if it's looser. Limp 22 UTG if the table is loose passive.

2)I raise A8o from co. A5o is standard button raise for me. SB I raise any ace.

3) Keep raising QTo and 55 from co, 44 and Q9 from button.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 AM

This thread should help you out on pre flop ranges.

It is widely regarded as bad by 2+2'ers to open limp and cold call. Apart from the blinds you should almost always consider raising if you want to put money in the pot.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Wow, I guess some thought has already been put into this. I'm not married to the preflop ranges in SSHE, so I'll try to get my head around this new chart and see how it goes.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.) They want there to be one limper before you play A9s or 22-66 in MP. MP, in this game, is UTG and UTG+1. I should open-fold these now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like limping 2nd in with small pairs. You're usually playing for set value, whichi is harder to get in 6-max. You don't want to limp and pla the hand with you a limper and the BB.

Hand like A8s+ and A9o, are good isolation hands in alot of situations. If you can often eliminate the blinds, I'm often raising a (weak) limper with these hands. Also suitedness helps in 6-max but not nearly as much as in full, since alot of hands will be heads up or 3 handed.

[ QUOTE ]
2.) They never play Axo, ever. A9o seems definitely worth a raise if it's folded to me on the button or in SB, right? Can we say the same about A7o?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of players are stealing with Axo hands in 6-max. I raising any ace against most blinds when folded to me on the button. I'm almost always opening with A7, A8 type hands in the CO first in. Exceptions occur when you're pretty sure the Button will coldcall behind you, which makes these hands much harder to play.

[ QUOTE ]
3.) Any hand that you play from LP, if it's folded to you, you're supposed to raise. I feel like, in these looser games, SB and BB will call (correctly) with anything halfway decent when I raise QTo and 44. What I'm noticing already is that I'll miss the flop a ton, c-bet a ton, get c/r'ed a ton, call light a ton, and pay off goofy donks a ton

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because the SB or BB will call doesn't mean you shouldn't be raising. You'll have aggression and position working for you on any blind steal.