Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 08:02 AM

Default party 200K guaranteed early hand : AA input wanted

Hi all,

Third hand in the party 200K guaranteed. ( couldnt get convertor to work but want to post the hand anyway).

I laid down AA, which was probably a mistake and just plain bad play.. still dont want to have a discussion as to wether or not the play was correct...

At the time It felt like I was beaten, i know 10xs or pocket 6 are not the only possibly holdings here but my read/feeling was the flop did hit him..( I played it like this because I wanted to see if my read was correct.. )

now my question /statement is the following : i felt it was correct to fold the hand because this early in the tournament my chips are more valuable and will allow me later on to gain momentum and still have a good tournament ( I ended up taking 19th place btw)

So please no feedback on how I played the hand.. would like to understand what others would have done in the situation.. commit their chips hoping for a double up already now or take the safer route and try and outplay the field..

I felt it was more important to me to keep 4K in chips then to get a stack of 10K.. with blinds this low I dont need the chips yet.

***** Hand History for Game 5495369706 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny: 30715067 Level: 1 Blinds(20/40) - Sunday, December 10, 12:55:15 ET 2006
Table 200K Guaranteed Sunday (887797) Table #91 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Jorkel ( 4940 )
Seat 2: DRohn ( 5000 )
Seat 3: She_DiDIt ( 5000 )
Seat 4: tordo ( 5120 )
Seat 5: eiger1811 ( 5000 )
Seat 6: WillyTheKid ( 4735 )
Seat 7: BeetleRules ( 5025 )
Seat 8: spatzentiger ( 5340 )
Seat 9: Great__Ape ( 4840 )
Seat 10: Seilly ( 4940 )
Trny: 30715067 Level: 1
Blinds(20/40)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Great__Ape [ Ad As ]
tordo folds
eiger1811 folds
WillyTheKid folds
BeetleRules folds
spatzentiger folds
Great__Ape raises [140]
Seilly folds
Jorkel calls [140]
DRohn folds
She_DiDIt folds
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6c, Td, Tc ]
Great__Ape bets [200]
Jorkel raises [700]
Great__Ape calls [500]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9d ]
Great__Ape checks
Jorkel bets [1100]
Great__Ape folds
Jorkel does not show cards.
Jorkel wins 2840 chips
Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 AM

Default Re: party 200K guaranteed early hand : AA input wanted

If you don't want feedback on how you played the hand then what exactly are you looking for?

If your question is: "Is it important to accumulate chips to win a MTT or do you just want to survive?"
Then the answer is clearly that you want to accumulate chips early and often. Survival is for SNGs, in MTTs you need to accumulate whenever possible
Old 12-11-2006, 08:12 AM

I raise it to t200 preflop.

Villains line could easily be a ten, I don't hate your fold.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:16 AM

What is the villains range that he would play like this?
QQ/JJ/any ten/AcKc/AcQc/AcJc/8c9c/7c8c/66/KK (discounted bc he would raise pf often)

If you think that you are 2:1 vs his range then you should call on the turn and get it in on the river. If not then fold...

Also, is he ever not betting around 1k when checked to after his flop raise? If he is always firing again when you show weakness why did you call the 500 raise?

but here I am talking about your play when you explicitly asked us not to...
Old 12-11-2006, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want feedback on how you played the hand then what exactly are you looking for?

If your question is: "Is it important to accumulate chips to win a MTT or do you just want to survive?"
Then the answer is clearly that you want to accumulate chips early and often. Survival is for SNGs, in MTTs you need to accumulate whenever possible

[/ QUOTE ]

yep that was my question.. I know it is important to accumalate as much as possible early on.. the question is..will you do it no matter what.. or is it better in situations like to one above to fold..and continue with what is left?

alltough I was probably ahead, just I didnt feel that my top pair was enough to go all in in that spot.. there was a change I was already behind.. and dint feel like committing the rest of my stack
Old 12-11-2006, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
alltough I was probably ahead, just I didnt feel that my top pair was enough to go all in in that spot.. there was a change I was already behind.. and dint feel like committing the rest of my stack

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this logic is very very bad.

Like really bad.

There are a ton of players in this tournament. You need to accumulate early on in order to win this thing.

There are many great MTTers on this forum who would not pass up a 50.01/49.99 edge in these tournaments. Some want more of an edge than that but the point stands that you can't pass up spots where you think you are ahead if you want to win a big tournament
Old 12-11-2006, 03:09 PM

I don't understand your question, not wanting feed back and all. First, Fiksdal- you really open raise 5bb with AA?

For the hand, assuming no reads, I just 3bet push the flop versus a random party donk. He probably has a medium pair or draw and a lot of turn cards kill your action.

Your edge is far too great to pass up.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like really bad.

There are a ton of players in this tournament. You need to accumulate early on in order to win this thing.

There are many great MTTers on this forum who would not pass up a 50.01/49.99 edge in these tournaments. Some want more of an edge than that but the point stands that you can't pass up spots where you think you are ahead if you want to win a big tournament

[/ QUOTE ]

Your edge is way more than 51%. It takes more than a feeling to prevent me from going AI with AA on this board. JJ-KK is far more likely than a T.

Finishing 19th is being results oriented. Pushing here may have gotten you higher (there - reverse-results-oriented [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 PM

Raising to 200 PF is bad. Only way it's appropriate is if there are multiple very loose players and/or one guy who will call almost all of his hands. The PF raise is fine.

I would certainly have all my chips in the pot after his re-raise. If you plan on folding the turn, you should just fold the flop to his re-raise. This saves you chips if that is your "feel"... as nothing except an ace will win this for you if you feel you're behind (and you certainly didn't have odds to try for it).
Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

And i think your logic is very very bad.
I'm not specifically talking about this hand, but about your logic. I think it's a big mistake to put all your tournament at stakes on a coin flip at ANY time of a tournament.
And think about this : He wins and doubles up. Do you think that the fact that he has 10000 chips in the third hand of the tournament increases a lot the percentage of chances he will win the tournament with 1000 players remaining. Come on, we all know that being a early chip leader means nothing.
This is a classic problem : if on the first hand of the WSOP Main Event, you have AK and the other guys shows you a pocket pair ( not AA or KK of course ) and puts you Allin, what do you do? I think you should fold. I'll even fold with AK if the guy puts me Allin with QJ. I'll only call with something like AK vs AQ.

I think "Accumulating chips" does not mean making big bets or Allin bets on coin flips and marginal hands. I think it means, being a little looser preflop to try to make thing happens, flop well disguised monsters and double up, try to find good spots.
The only time where you can take coin flips is when you ALREADY have a big stack, and can eliminate a small stack, so that even if you lose, you won't lose more than 1/4 or 1/3 of your stack.

Concerning this hand, with no read of the villain, i fold in a second. On the turn, the board is paired, there 2 possible flush draws, a potential made straight and possible straight draws. You can easily be beaten, or be ahead and he draws out on you on the river.
Even if he has JJ or QQ, i mean, the problem is when you are out of position, you will sometimes get outplayed by good players. You should not let your ego tell you "I'm not folding aces!". Fold, say "Nice hand", move on and build your stack back up.