Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Table selection...

What are the best ways to find a good table?

I am just getting to where i have a lot of stats on people at 10NL, but the turnover rate there is huge. (people go bust or move up)

Because of that, the only thing i use as table selection is finding a table that isn't made up of short stacks. Normally, i find a 6 max room that has at least 4 people with around or more then a buyin, and then sit there. Short stacks are land mines for me. I avoid them until, BOOM!

Is there anyway to pick out a better table at this level, or is the fish count so high it doesn't matter?

Once i get up higher levels, what are some good ways to find good tables?

My friend's list is filled with bad players, but part of being bad players is they don't have a Bankroll, and normally are only good the day i find them, gone forever after that.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Table selection...

V, what is the problem you have with shorties? Personally, they are my bitches and if you want I will telk to you about beating them.

FWIW, i dont think you need to table select much until 200NL, as long as you find a table that has 4 60BB+ stacks.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:03 AM

Shorties are desperate, i find they'll shove with any piece of the board.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
V, what is the problem you have with shorties? Personally, they are my bitches and if you want I will telk to you about beating them.

FWIW, i dont think you need to table select much until 200NL, as long as you find a table that has 4 60BB+ stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that's what i've been doing. I've seen people mention Table Selection several times, so i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing out on something.

My problem with shorties is it's hard to bluff them. They are willing to take a stand when they hit anything which means i have to have a hand, and they have to have a second best hand.

I've gotten to where i just won't bluff a short stack, but i'll play a lot of mid strength hands stronger then i would againts a full stack since they can't do much damage if they do have a real hand.

What's your key to beating them? You can either post here or PM me.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:12 AM

Value bet shortstacks. Also, when bluffing, you don't need to bet much into the pot to get them to fold. If they call that they aren't folding.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:17 AM

I've been playing 10NL 6-Max for about six months and over 10K hands. Still a relatively new player but this is what I look for...

* a high Players Per Flop percentage (at least 50%, 60+% is even better
* big Avg Pot size (20 to 30 big bets is good)
* a table of players with full stacks, but I am wary of a table with more than one or two players with double or triple the size of a full buyin
* also, if it becomes painfully obvious that I am one of the weaker players at the table I WILL LEAVE QUICKLY (it took me awhile to start this habit but it has saved me much money)
* in general, I look for a table with many loose, passive players (and if the table gets too tight after awhile I WILL LEAVE)
* and also, I like a full table (6 players) for just the reason you mentioned... turnover is high and short-handed games can break up quickly

I played about five hours today and I know I changed tables at least 10 to 15 times as conditions warranted.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 AM

there are kind of degrees of shorties...

15BB or less, get them AIpf with any pair <66, and any A9+
~20, move that to 88+ and AT. still, get it in PF, if possible.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS check to the shortie on the flop, or check behind if you hit top pair with an A/K. They shove, all the time.

If you raise JT for example, and the flop comes jack high, just vb them small, like 2-3BB per street, or 2, 4, 6, or w/e it takes to get them AI slowly.

If you have like AQ, and the flop comes K42, bet. this is a value bet.

same thing, but J94, just check and give it up.

this is pretty general, and if you have any specific questions or spots that you are unsure of, let me know.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:01 AM

I like to have people with just a bit under the buy in by a few dollars, also a high preflop % since it means their loose and a high average pot which means their most likely lagg's
Old 12-11-2006, 02:03 AM

I have no idea how 10NL plays, but I suspect table selection is no issue here

25NL table selection is no issue either.

50NL there are plenty of good tables, but for some reason or other, the regulars have a tendency to sit and not move ever. So if you end up at a table with four 20/17 players (two of which are 2+2), then you might consider moving.

Shortstacks ... If possible I like to put 'em all in pf when I decidede to enter a pot with them (need to be sure it is HU etc etc). I am not bothered by coinflips not surprisingly. And in the long run I believe I am ahead of their range. (And even when I double them up, I still have them covered, so if they don't leave there will be opportunities to break them anyway)

This applies to the moronic shortstacks at uNL at least.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I don't think it's necessary at 25NL. Also, at the micro limits on UB I try to start a new table to clear 25% more of the bonus points.