Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Bullying with the big stack

About me: I'm a tightnit who rarely plays with a big stack, but this morning in the $10R hit some cards to build a top 5 stack. So, looking for some feedback on my move here...

Read on villain : Pretty TAGGy, nothin out of line so far

The Hand:
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Villain (t17061)
MP3 (t9264)
CO (t30366)
Button (t14449)
SB (t20760)
Hero (t39260)
UTG (t57051)
UTG+1 (t13881)
MP1 (t19470)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t1200</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t600.

Flop: (t2200) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t3200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t4800</font>, Villain calls t1600.

Turn: (t11800) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t33210 (All-In)</font>

Questions
1. What do ya put the villain on?
2. Like the move?
3. How would you have played it differently?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Bullying with the big stack

flop is horrible, STOP MINRAISING.

villain only has 1 flop size bet left and you should have a number of outs on the turn, but i wouldnt expect to ever be ahead.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but i wouldnt expect to ever be ahead.

[/ QUOTE ] why?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:14 PM

I would assume you are up against a set. I would have raised higher amount (put villian all in right there) on flop to put villian to test and try to win the pot right there. If villian calls, and wins you still have a decent stack to carry on. These on line tourneys can be like buying a lottery ticket, since the range of starting hands that people play are somewhat surprising. Even those that play patiently all along then they eihter get inpatient, tired or have to take care of a household matter and start playing recklessly out of the blue. With top pair and top kicker, you have to push, especially in tourneys. At the point the 8 of clubs came on the turn you have to push all in. Even if you are beat (which you probably are) you have the club outs on the river, which if you hit, you will be in good shape to get to the final table, which during the tourney should be your goal.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but i wouldnt expect to ever be ahead.

[/ QUOTE ] why?

[/ QUOTE ]

raise pre, 3 bet flop, then flat called 4 bet? to me this is almost always AA/KK
Old 12-10-2006, 01:28 PM

Alright poisoned, if the tables were turned, and you were the villain and you were indeed holding AA,KK - do you call off all your chips in such a drawy board?

What range you put me on here?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:35 PM

Whats the table like? I see villan minraising in MP either because he's terrified of not getting action with his monster, or because he thinks he'll get to see a flop at that price.

My personal preference is to see if he's serious with a reraise preflop. Picking up the pot now would be nice since we'll be OOP. I only call either when so many has entered the pot so I cant drive anyone out, or for deception when the guy opening is a loose agressive dark tunnel bettor.

On the flop I can't really tell who's bullying who.. His tiny bet is either a too small C-bet or semibluff, or he's still afraid of not getting paid off.

But you min-checkraise.. what are you trying to accomplish? is this a value bet? If so you're giving him odds to draw to anything.
Now he reraises you again, but with the line you've taken you havnt gained any information about his holding. He might think he can still pick up the pot, or its a value bet.

But again you minraise! obviouly he knows you dont want to let go, and now the effective stacks are only ~one pot.

Somewhat scary turncard, and you give him the opportunity to get all the money in with the better hand, and fold all hands that beat you. I really doubt this villain is capable of folding hands that beat you..

------
1. What do ya put the villain on?
------
This villain smells like a weak tight player who's just afraid of not being paid off. Either that or you just let him hit a flush.

------
2. Like the move?
------
no.

------
3. How would you have played it differently?
------
2/3 pot lead flop, fold to significant reraise, call a push tho. Wouldnt be too aggressive from there, preflop was deceptive so if he thinks you have nothing, all the better.
Turn did give you NFD, but most weak players online refuse to believe they have been outdrawn. He will call with most hands that beat tptk on the flop, which means your bet has very little bluff value.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:48 PM

I am not poisoned but I can tell you I never get to the turn like that with AA/KK - I would raise more preflop and all of our money is getting in on that flop. Seeing how you guys arrived here I would guess villain isn't folding an overpair and definitely isn't folding KK w/a club
Old 12-10-2006, 01:55 PM

i probably would not call the turn shove with KK/AA since your line is consistent with a set. a weakly played set thats scared of not gettin paid, but a set nonetheless

but just cause YOU wouldnt take that ine with AA/KK, what makes you think villain couldnt play it like that? its consistent, then the 4 bet says hes prob beat but by them hes getting odds to call.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:58 PM

I don't know waht you were doing on the flop, but I think you have to push the turn. The fact that you are a big stack is not that relevant.