Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Techno Newb Needs Help

Hey guys,

So, for the past year or so I've been 6-tabling on a laptop and I think its time to move to a desktop with dual monitors. I need some advice.

To give you a little background, poker will be my primary use for the machine. I plan on ~8tabling while running PT, PAHud, using some bet pot hot keys etc. Occasionally I'll watch movies on it too. I'm not big into computer games so thats not an issue at all.

I've also heard that 20'1" monitors are what is necessary in order to 4 table on each screen without overlap or having to shrink tables, but I really don't know how accurate that information was.

I'm not looking for anything too extravagant but would like this to last me at least a couple years and easily fulfill what I'm looking for.

Like I said, I'm a complete noob with technology so in addition to posting recommended spec's, I would appreciate it if you could lead me (Possibly links?) to actual computer's that would be sufficient, and then also recommendations on which monitors to get with them.

Thanks in advance,

SG
Old 12-10-2006, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Techno Newb Needs Help

FWIW, I was in a similar position as you a couple years ago. I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop PC for $600 and two Samsung 19" CRT monitors. If you really only need the system for poker, internet, word processing...then something similar would suit you fine. Total cost for everything around $1300.

The key to monitors is resolution. In order to get four tables on one monitor with no overlap the max resolution has to be 1600x1200 (or greater). You'll find that you have to pay a little more for monitors with these capabilities. And you'll probably need to install a video card that can run a second monitor.

Bottom of the line Dells

Sample Dell monitor

The linked monitor is an LCD -- but if don't have space issues you can get a CRT monitor for around $200-250.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:20 AM

Thanks a lot.

Off the top of your head do you know which popular VidCards support two monitors or which don't? If not im sure I can just do some research this is just the easier way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2006, 09:28 AM

Most newer video cards will support 2 monitors.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks a lot.

Off the top of your head do you know which popular VidCards support two monitors or which don't? If not im sure I can just do some research this is just the easier way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any recommendations handy, the one I got two years ago is no longer available.

To clarify, you'll probably only be using the card to run one monitor, i.e. the second one. You'll use the comp's built-in monitor connection for the first one. So any run-of-the-mill card that adds this second connection will do the trick.

Just be sure to buy one that "fits" into your computer, i.e. video cards come in different styles -- AGP, PCI or PCIe (for express). Some comps can fit different cards, for example both PCI and PCIe cards, but some comps, like mine, fit only PCI cards. If I'm not mistaken, most newer comps will run PCIe cards. Just doublecheck before you buy one.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 PM

The ATI X1950 is out now and has dual DVI output and 256 MB RAM. Cost is only $100-120. I has Crossfire support too so you can easily add support for 4 monitors cheaply.