Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 10:14 PM

Default tom mcevoy/how good of a player??

Has anybody read his books or followed him in his career/how good of a player is he...
Old 12-10-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Re: tom mcevoy/how good of a player??

I won't say that i've followed his career or anything but he's a lifelong second tier pro. He's won some tournaments but he's never been a major threat. Personal i've always thought he played too tight and put himself in a position where he had to catch good cards at the right time to get the job done. One thing to note is that he has personally stated that he lost touch with poker with the new internet/moneymaker movement and has had to start over and rework his game to adjust to it. He won that PPT tournament and has been placing higher in tournaments in the last couple years, so he's shown that he's capable of learning even after all these years. He's a winning professional but not one of the games superstars.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:45 AM

he seems good
Old 12-10-2006, 04:32 AM

I played with him in a small tourney at the Wildhorse in Pendleton Oregon. He played played tight, straight forward ABC poker, certainly not a threat. In the only significant pot I saw him play he turned broadway and pushed, got called by a set, then the board paired crippling him.

That was four years ago. Not sure how he plays now, but I pegged him as just another tight old man, nothing special. Yet he has managed to eek out a living playing tournament poker for over twentyfive years. There's certainly something to be said about that, but not the kind of grind it out existence I'd want to live.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:20 AM

He offers coaching/thats why i asked
Old 12-11-2006, 09:09 AM

A couple years ago I read an article where the Author described McEvoy's house as a "Museum of Poker Tournament Trophies". He has obviously had some success regardless of how his style is critiqued.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:55 PM

I think he´s won the main event but im not sure... It still can only be an advantege to have somebody like coach you!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he´s won the main event but im not sure... It still can only be an advantege to have somebody like coach you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-11-2006, 05:21 PM

The record is there to prove that he's been a successful player for a very long time. If he's willing to share what he knows, seems a no-brainer that he's worth listening to.

That said, I found his "Championship HE" book (on limit HE), co-authored with Cloutier, to be not nearly as good as many of the other books out there - although not as laughable as many describe it. His & TJ's NLHE/PLHE book is better, but again, not the best out there (although it may have been when it was first published).

My own suspicion is that with players like McEvoy & Cloutier, their strengths may not be strictly their "playing style", but rather their mental attitude, bankroll management, experience, hand-reading ability, picking up tells, etc etc. Stuff that just doesn't come across in a book.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
their strengths may not be strictly their "playing style", but rather their mental attitude, bankroll management, experience, hand-reading ability, picking up tells, etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bankroll management is definatly one of Cloutier's greatest poker traits.