Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Default **Official** 2006 Film Award Season Thread

Sure, they're largely meaningless popularity contests, but they sure are fun.

Add updates as you find stuff

Oscar eligible songs announced

"O Kazakhstan" is eligible, meaning that if it gets nominated (o please, please, please) it'll be performed at the Oscars, which would of course be the highlight of the night. All together now: "Kazakhstan is the greatest country in the world..."

The National Board of Review winners

Warners gambled on moving Eastwood's second WW2 film to this year, and seems to have paid off so far. Or, maybe the NBR just likes Clint. They also put The Painted Veil in their top 10, in addition to giving it Best Adapted Screenplay, which could indicate a late-charging contender. Although, any time you put Edward Norton and Naomi Watts in a period piece, that's a decent bet for awards.

...Speaking of Edward Norton, he's got an Indie Spirit nomination

And look, it's Little Miss Sunshine for Best Picture. And the late, great Robert Altman. Sweet.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: **Official** 2006 Film Award Season Thread

Little Miss Sunshine FTW.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 PM

i would think that Aaron Eckhart would be the favorite for the male lead win for the Independant Sprit awards.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would think that Aaron Eckhart would be the favorite for the male lead win for the Independant Sprit awards.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno...i hear gosling is stunning in Half Nelson
Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 AM

From what I've seen this year, I definitely agree with Mirren for Best Actress and Whitaker for Best Actor. Looking forward to seeing Letters From Iwo Jima.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:46 PM

I think that this year is going to weigh out two questions. Can Mel Gibson erase the shame, and does the WGA have any clout? The first one is self-explanitory. The second has to do with the "Illusionist." This is, from my understanding, the darling of many screenwriters. So we will see.

The other thing is "DreamGirls." This movie is made to take down the Oscar, much in the spirit of "Schindler's list," though on the other spectrum of fun. With Jamie Foxx leading the helm, and the return of Eddie Murphy, it is going to be interesting to watch. Add in the fact that this is a mostly black cast, and we are going to watch the sparks fly. With music, adapted screenplay, costume, cinematography, leading male, leading female, and sound in it's favor, this movie shows strength in several categories: a usual contender for a movie attempting sweep the Awards.

"Letters" is probably the more Academy worthy film of the WW2 dualogy. I think that the last minute release of this film is likely an indicator that Warner has more faith in this film. I don't know when this was to be released, but I wouldn't be surprised if original plans wasn't for next Oscar season.

Other categories:

Special Effects
Pirates of the Caribean is the sure winner here, no other movie has has the analysis by the trade rags.
Other contenders include:
Superman,
The Foutain,
Flags,
Letters,
The Departed.

It would be interesting to see Ultraviolet get a nod here, but with it storming the razzies....

Costume (my personal favorite)
Flags of our Fathers.
Marie Antionette.
The Queen.
Apocalypto

I think that Marie Antoinette owns this one. The head costume designer has a ton of clout in Hollywood, even though she did not actually create the costumes, and there has been no shortage of mention about how many designers were used to make up all of the extras.

Cinematography.
Dream Girls
Flags.
Letters.
Marie Antoinette.
The Fountain.

Marie Antoinette seems to have the most inside support here. I don't think anything comes close. However, I am not going to be shocked if it is snubbed on the big night.

This years snubs will probably include The fountain, in all of the categories. Although this film main brag is that it did not use CGI (computer generated graphics), I don't think that Aronofsky has the support. Also note that Superman used a digital with film lenses to create it's unique look. With it being a superhero film, it will probably be unconsidered for the most part.

And finally, bets pic.
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Departed
The Illusionist
DreamGirls
The Queen
Apocalypto

It should be an interesting one this year. I find that I am no too acurate for Pre-year guessing. But I think that, in some categories, there are some clear front-runners.

John Madden: If it is not clear who the best is, then you really don't have much.

Sorry. I am inclined to believe that this year will be another upset victory for yet another movie.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And finally, bets pic.
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Departed
The Illusionist
DreamGirls
The Queen
Apocalypto

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really in the race for Best Picture? I liked it a lot, but it doesnt seem like a Best Picture type movie.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And finally, bets pic.
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Departed
The Illusionist
DreamGirls
The Queen
Apocalypto

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really in the race for Best Picture? I liked it a lot, but it doesnt seem like a Best Picture type movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know. I am trying to figure in a bit of politics here. But I don't think it would really have a chance. For it to get a nod would be a huge score, though.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM

what i'm hearing is that Little Miss Sunshine is the front-runner for the indie Best Picture nomination
Old 12-10-2006, 07:48 PM

L.A. Film Critics Awards results:

Best Picture: Letters From Iwo Jima
Director: Paul Greengrass United 93
Actor: (tie) Sascha Baron Cohen Borat and Forest Whitaker Last King Of Scotland
Actress: Helen Mirren The Queen
Supporting Actor: Michael Sheen The Queen
Supporting Actress: Luminita Gheorghiu Death Of Mr. Lazarescu
Screenplay: Peter Morgan The Queen
Foreign Language Film: The Lives Of Others
Documentary: An Inconvenient Truth