Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 01:08 AM

Default Most Profitable Game

At this point I don't know what I would like to play. NL seems the most popular which would mean more fish it seems but I've known a ton of people that make bank playing limit games. If I can choose between specializing between limit, nl ring games, and nl sng's which would be the most profitable to focus on?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Most Profitable Game

I'm assuming you're talking about STRICTLY hold 'em. Most people (at least used to be) start w/ LHE and play a good amount of hands to learn the fundamentals of the game (the science) then switch to NLHE. I think the consensus is that it's easier to go from LHE to NLHE and NLHE to LHE.

As far as the most profitable, that depends on which you're best at. If you're terrible at one of the games, it doesn't really matter how soft the games are because you're probably still going to lose. Assuming you're a good player, and equally good at both games, I think both are very profitable for different reasons. It seems as though NLHE has the most games to choose from, but also LHE seems to have a ton of players that don't know how to play the game correctly making them quite soft all around.

I don't think it would hurt either to meddle around in some other games also. Razz is a game right now that seems to quite a popular stud variant and I've noticed from 8/16 and down these games are ridiculously beatable by a solid player.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Razz is a game right now that seems to quite a popular stud variant and I've noticed from 8/16 and down these games are ridiculously beatable by a solid player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you will find a Razz game by itself. To play Razz, you would need to join a mixed game like HORSE which requires you to be good/sufficient at all those games.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Razz is a game right now that seems to quite a popular stud variant and I've noticed from 8/16 and down these games are ridiculously beatable by a solid player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you will find a Razz game by itself. To play Razz, you would need to join a mixed game like HORSE which requires you to be good/sufficient at all those games.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. FTP has razz going quite often.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for not making myself clear...online definetely you can find a razz game, but live, it would be mixed.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for not making myself clear...online definetely you can find a razz game, but live, it would be mixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah....yes. it seems i am forgetful that there is such a thing called live poker.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:52 PM

Just a quick question about razz.

I was told tonight that out of all the poker games, razz has the highest "luck factor".

Is this true?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you're talking about STRICTLY hold 'em. Most people (at least used to be) start w/ LHE and play a good amount of hands to learn the fundamentals of the game (the science) then switch to NLHE. I think the consensus is that it's easier to go from LHE to NLHE and NLHE to LHE.

As far as the most profitable, that depends on which you're best at. If you're terrible at one of the games, it doesn't really matter how soft the games are because you're probably still going to lose. Assuming you're a good player, and equally good at both games, I think both are very profitable for different reasons. It seems as though NLHE has the most games to choose from, but also LHE seems to have a ton of players that don't know how to play the game correctly making them quite soft all around.

I don't think it would hurt either to meddle around in some other games also. Razz is a game right now that seems to quite a popular stud variant and I've noticed from 8/16 and down these games are ridiculously beatable by a solid player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-09-2006, 11:56 PM

i would say that razz has quite a lot of variance and luck, yes. but the ration of bad players to the game is far greater IMO opinion and any form of hold em.