Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Can your brain send information back in time?

Youtube

Very Interesting... I think the most convincing data for me is the galvanic skin responses. If they could consistently tell when the images were going to appear shortly before they actually did, that would be pretty convincing.

Some of the information they give is less convincing. It's possibly that nobody has the ability to hit a 100mph fastball but some people still get hits from blind luck.

If some quantum mechanical method allowed you to sense things momentarily before they happened I'd have thought that would be a very strong selection advantage (no evolution/id hijacks please).

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Can your brain send information back in time?

Without watching the youtube video, I'm gonna get out on a limb here and guess that it features some wackos mistaking experiments that show that we (the body) really experience things about 0.5 seconds before we (the mind) becomes consciously aware of it.

That has nothing to do with time travel. If they talk about experiments showing an effect of more than 1 seconds they're lying.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 AM

Bunk.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:51 AM

I know how to hit a baseball. I can pick up where the ball is likely to be based on body positioning and arm speed before the ball is even released. No looking back in time is required.

That’s why throwing a change-up is so effective it disrupts a batter's ability to predict the velocity of a ball based on arm speed. If hitting a baseball were based on looking back in time, why would changing speeds make a difference?

Secondly, I doubt it takes the body that long to transfer information.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:51 AM

It's called memory/prediction, and its how the brain (specifically neocortex) works. It does not require information from the future to predict things, it has its own model of reality that runs ahead of actual reality.

(We all do it, its called planning).
Old 12-08-2006, 08:08 AM

Only if you send your brain back in time.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:50 PM

Well, I think that time really is a serious issue in physics which could stand to be examined much more closely. There are some legitimate points in this video, and I tentatively support the idea that the 'future' can affect the 'present'. This is based on a view of time that is different from the inutitive view. If we truly treat time as symetrical, then it actually makes many quantum phenomena much more 'normal' seeming. It's like we are choosing between standard causality and non-locality.

Many of the theories of physics bake in an assumption about the direction of time in very subtle ways. There is a book (something like 'times arrow and archimedes point'? I could have the wrong book) which discusses some of this. It is not well written, and has a few flaws, but the premise is very enlightening...i won't try and reproduce the arguments in 2 paragraphs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

That said, I think the experimental evidence here is either wrong or misunderstood. It doesn't fit even with my 'crazy' theories. The macro, easily observable world, always seems to follow the (hard to explain) predictable patterns of causation.

Libbets experiments - I'm going to look at them, but I think this is just a matter of the mind matching up events with the time it 'assumes' they happened. I can CERTAINLY subjectively perceive that something happened before it actually did. This phenomenon has been observed in a lot of different settings. But the order of the events remains the same...we just BELIEVE they happened in a different order.

Baseball - bunk. Someone already explained one reason. Another complicating factor is the ability to very quickly make small changes in the trajectory of the bat. It's not as though I need to decide the entire trajectory of the bat at the point it leaves my shoulder...I'll look this up too, but i'm pretty sure it's been mostly discredited.

Computer images/Galvanic response - I will definitely look this up, but I'm almost certain it's bunk. It's important to remember that something like 50% of peer-reviewed papers reach false conclusions. That's why we don't take just one or two papers as evidence of anything.

That woman...anecdotal crap. Whatever. A lot of people have been abducted by aliens too...

On a related note, I just found out that my grandfathers cousin owned this horse.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:10 PM

I need to use this time travel thing to play cards. Just as I am about to call I just need to think about the info my brain is sending back in time to me and I can't lose
Old 12-09-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need to use this time travel thing to play cards. Just as I am about to call I just need to think about the info my brain is sending back in time to me and I can't lose

[/ QUOTE ]

SSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]