Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 PM

Default The nature of a downswing in NL cash....

Say you have a standard 5-10 buy-in downswing. Would you say that the primary contributing factor in your downswing is more often (a) coolers/bad beats or (b) never making any hands/not getting action on your big hands/getting a ton on action on your weak/marginal hands? Obviously it is usually a mix of the two (in addition to bad play) but which would you say is a bigger factor?

I am asking because I am new to NL cash and I have swung 8 buyins without losing more than 80BBs on any single hand (doubled up a few shortstacks though). I always have a loose image after my first few orbits at the table (like 24/20) then switch it into tag mode (like 16/13). I normally cbet like 75% of flops depending on the board texture. Is it actually possible (common?) to drop 8 buyins solely because of the fact that I can't make a hand (or get action on it if I do), or is it far more likely that I have some serious leaks in my game.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: The nature of a downswing in NL cash....

All of the things you have listed are viable reasons for a downswing, but I think most people exacerbate them through tilt and bad play. I certainly make some dumb plays when I'm stuck a lot sometimes.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:13 PM

I just dropped about 10 buy-ins, and I felt like both reasons you listed were big factors, add in a couple of tilt hands and you've got yourself a bonafide downswing.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 PM

Don,

This q is general. Are you reviewing your hands? I just started a log to see where my monies are going. When I'm losing, etc.

Usually it's calling bad, playing overly aggressive for myself.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don,

This q is general. Are you reviewing your hands? I just started a log to see where my monies are going. When I'm losing, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've looked through all of the hands. I think a portion of my losses can be attributed to bad PF decisions maybe (2 BI) and a much smaller portion to bad, tilty calls and bluffs. I'm used to much higher stakes SNGs so losing the money doesn't affect me too much and I don't tilt often. The thing that scares me is if the swing is due to the fact that I'm too weak postflop. I've been looking over my hands and a significant portion (the vast majority) of my losses are just getting floated or check minraised by fish. The thing is I never have a hand when this is going on and I can't imagine playing more aggressively without a decent holding is going to be profitable vs. 40/5s playing 100NL.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don,

[/ QUOTE ]

I've looked through all of the hands. I think a portion of my losses can be attributed to bad PF decisions maybe (2 BI) and a much smaller portion to bad, tilty calls and bluffs. I'm used to much higher stakes SNGs so losing the money doesn't affect me too much and I don't tilt often. The thing that scares me is if the swing is due to the fact that I'm too weak postflop. I've been looking over my hands and a significant portion (the vast majority) of my losses are just getting floated or check minraised by fish. The thing is I never have a hand when this is going on and I can't imagine playing more aggressively without a decent holding is going to be profitable vs. 40/5s playing 100NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like variance, but you can try c-betting less vs those opponents
Old 12-07-2006, 11:14 PM

Nothing like sucking out on someone to stack them to get you out of one though.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:15 PM

many coolers, little tilt
Old 12-07-2006, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]absolutely
Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say you have a standard 5-10 buy-in downswing. Would you say that the primary contributing factor in your downswing is more often (a) coolers/bad beats or (b) never making any hands/not getting action on your big hands/getting a ton on action on your weak/marginal hands? Obviously it is usually a mix of the two (in addition to bad play) but which would you say is a bigger factor?

I am asking because I am new to NL cash and I have swung 8 buyins without losing more than 80BBs on any single hand (doubled up a few shortstacks though). I always have a loose image after my first few orbits at the table (like 24/20) then switch it into tag mode (like 16/13). I normally cbet like 75% of flops depending on the board texture. Is it actually possible (common?) to drop 8 buyins solely because of the fact that I can't make a hand (or get action on it if I do), or is it far more likely that I have some serious leaks in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be doing the opposite. Start out TAG then open your game up more.