Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Default 10/180 27 left, what to do with 77 utg?

This is my first MTT post so please excuse my lack of formating. I'll review the standards on this forum and try to conform next time around but this hand has been buggin me all night.

There are 27 players left in a Stars $10/180.

The blinds are 300/600 50 ante. I have 7200 which puts me in 23rd position, top 18 get paid.

I've only been on my table for one orbit and it's been pretty much someone raises preflop and the blinds fold, no one getting particularly out of line and no one is really desperate on my table.

I get dealt 77 UTG. I choose to make a 3x BB raise betting 1800. I get one caller behind me in middle position, the table chip leader with about 35k in chips (the blinds both fold).

The pot is 4950 and I have 5350 left.

The flop comes T4T rainbow.

Now what do I do?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: 10/180 27 left, what to do with 77 utg?

I would c-bet and fold if raised
You raised UTG(?? weak with 77) and bet a paired flop. if you are raised I would give your opponent credit for high pocket pair or some guts.

Checking will mostly provoke your opponent to bet, in which case, you are in a bad spot: OOP against CL that called (cold called!!) UTG raise.

Still I don't like the preflop.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You raised UTG(?? weak with 77) and bet a paired flop. if you are raised I would give your opponent credit for high pocket pair or some guts.

Checking will mostly provoke your opponent to bet, in which case, you are in a bad spot: OOP against CL that called (cold called!!) UTG raise.

Still I don't like the preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't mentioned what I did on the flop because I didn't want to influence anyone's responses.

Preflop, would you fold or limp?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 AM

It's a bitch but I think you're looking at push or fold rather than fold or limp. It really depends on the calling ranges of the players behind and their stacks.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:18 AM

With an M of less than 6 (which is what you've got), I'd be pushing or folding pre-flop. 77 is very borderline...for me, 88 is definitely a push, and 66 is probably a fold.

Played the way you did, I push the flop.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:18 AM

First post so feel free to shoot me down. Not a fan of the pre flop play, would be inclined to fold(or maybe push). but where you are i think you just gotta get it in and pray he's got overs as he's gonna be betting at you if you check me thinks.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:21 AM

For me it's PROBABLY like this (preflop):

push > limp/fold if raised >> open-fold >> raise 3X

AS played - he's not going to give you credit for anything in your hand that hit this flop with your raise, he'll "put you on AK" and will call you down with any pair. Wit your stack on this flop I would check and if opponent bet half-pot or less - I would re-raise all-in. If he bet 3/4 pot or more - fold and start looking for open-pushing opportunities.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeeew! This is bad advice. A c-bet is at least 3000, which would leave Hero with less than 4BB. We're 23rd out of 27 (and probably even lower after investing 1800) and it's still a long way to 18th place. Hero needs to double up and can't be afraid to bust. If Hero is afraid to bust, Hero should move down to $4/180's. I really think Hero is ahead here and should be looking to get all his chips in. Check, let chipleader bet, and raise all-in... No, wait... I'm pushing this flop!

That being said, I'd probably push pre-flop...
Old 12-07-2006, 10:37 AM

Heh, I was in that game (based on the time of day you posted, at least). It's possible I was villain. Had about that stack at that stage.

Not that it adds to the discussion at all.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeeew! This is bad advice. A c-bet is at least 3000, which would leave Hero with less than 4BB. We're 23rd out of 27 (and probably even lower after investing 1800) and it's still a long way to 18th place. Hero needs to double up and can't be afraid to bust. If Hero is afraid to bust, Hero should move down to $4/180's. I really think Hero is ahead here and should be looking to get all his chips in. Check, let chipleader bet, and raise all-in... No, wait... I'm pushing this flop!

That being said, I'd probably push pre-flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right
I didn't take into account the remaining stack.
I'd c-bet == I'd push [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was just watching an old HH of LLoyd, where in hand 93,(a bit earlier in the tournament) with M~10 (yours is 8), He folded 77 UTG.

Just an argument to support preflop fold, even though , the table situation are different and etc