Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Oops, forgot to file my STATE tax return...problem??

I filed for the time-extension for my fiscal-2005 federal return (and submitted it within the extended period).

But I never got around to filing my state return...I didn't owe any money (in fact, I think i was entitled to a $300 refund from NY state). Just wondering 2 things I guess:

1) Is it too late for me to file my state return and get that ~$300?

2) Did I break any law by not filing (even though I did not owe any additional tax, but rather was due a refund)?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Oops, forgot to file my STATE tax return...problem??

1) no, go ahead and file. it's your money.

2) no.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I filed for the time-extension for my fiscal-2005 federal return (and submitted it within the extended period).

But I never got around to filing my state return...I didn't owe any money (in fact, I think i was entitled to a $300 refund from NY state). Just wondering 2 things I guess:

1) Is it too late for me to file my state return and get that ~$300?

2) Did I break any law by not filing (even though I did not owe any additional tax, but rather was due a refund)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not long ago I got notice from the IRS that my 2004 return had never been received. Turns out that the accountant who did it for me prepared it and gave it to a family member of mine to have me sign and mail in, but it somehow got buried/forgotten/lost etc. My state return wasn't filed either. I was owed refunds on both returns.

I was able to file the late returns and received the refunds minus late payment penalty with no major problems, so I don't think that you should have a problem either.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was able to file the late returns and received the refunds minus late payment penalty with no major problems...

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but if you had a refund coming, there should have been no penalties or interest taken out of them.