Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Losing a chunk of chips early...

Last couple $5 SnGs Ive gotten AJ or AQ (usually offsuit) in level 1. They have come in early or middle position. Ive lost at least 10% of my stack with these hands eachtime.

How should i be playing these hands level 1 in a early position, unraised? Raise strong PF, limp...? And if I catch top pair, should I push, check raise, or what?
Ive previously been called and usually outdrawn

I hate throwin around alot of chips so early, perhaps I should just fold PF [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Losing a chunk of chips early...

[ QUOTE ]

perhaps I should just fold PF [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps
Old 02-03-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last couple $5 SnGs Ive gotten AJ or AQ (usually offsuit) in level 1. They have come in early or middle position. Ive lost at least 10% of my stack with these hands eachtime.

How should i be playing these hands level 1 in a early position, unraised? Raise strong PF, limp...? And if I catch top pair, should I push, check raise, or what?
Ive previously been called and usually outdrawn

I hate throwin around alot of chips so early, perhaps I should just fold PF [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding isn't a bad thing, especially with AJ. I don't mind limping in with AQ if there are already limpers and in middle position I'll raise to 40-45 with AQ if unopened.

rvg
Old 02-03-2006, 01:44 PM

IMO at the 5's I'll usually raise a little more than 40-45 with AQ. I usually make it a decent 60-65 chip raise and then go from there. When I used to play those (and it hasn't been for a while) hands like AQ were usually pretty strong especially from late middle position. It was pretty easy to know where I stood with these hands because opponents didn't really get tricky and if a scary board showed it was pretty easy to get away from. I didn't like to get tricky with these hands either so if the flop was favorable I'd be betting the pot at the minimum. But thats middle position and you asked about early. AJ is an easy fold in early position especially in Level one. Too early to start "gambling" with a marginal hand at best. With AQ IMO its ok to limp and occasionally I'll raise and see what comes of it laying down to a substantial reraise. Just too early to try and get tricky with anything
Old 02-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Lotta people fold AT/AJ in EP/early MP preflop at a full table. Nothing wrong with that. AQ is a little more marginal, I don't think I'd fold that very often at a $5 SNG period, but don't overplay it either. TPTK/TPGK in a $5 SNG will often pay you pretty well, so if you hit top pair, you can afford to play it pretty aggressively. Sometimes you'll run into a set or two pair, but not often enough to stop you from playing that aggressively. Lotta people at the 5's who don't understand the value of a kicker will pay you off.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:03 PM

I think I mostly limp with AQ in early and mid. It hides your hand value when you do spike an A or Q. It also keeps the continuation bets small on the flop, so if you get raised, you are not spewing too many chips, plus villians will usually not put you on such a 'strong' hand, meaning they will call with a lot of weak Aces.

AJo I fold everywhere but the button and blinds. Just doesnt pay to play that, especially early.