Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 08:56 PM

Default WOW just saw the anti net-neutrality \"mumbo jumbo\" ad

http://www.ncta.com/ContentView.aspx?ContentID=3526

I saw this on TV last night and it blew my mind. I couldn't believe that I'd just seen such outright lies, propaganda, and arrogance in one ad.

There is SO much I can say. This ad is disgusting. It is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who views it. Unfortunately, it's probably pretty effective for a large majority of the fools in America. And why the [censored] did they make two references to google?

"Net neutrality is way too complicated for you old people and stupid sheep to understand so just listen to us. Net neutrality is communism, it kills kittens, and it supports Osama Bin Laden."

Special interest group interested in [censored] over most of the country in order to get what they want? Gee, reminds me of the poker ban.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Re: WOW just saw the anti net-neutrality \"mumbo jumbo\" ad

The way they presented the issue was really stupid, but Net Neutrality is an awful idea.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Completely disagree. Selling out the 'net to the highest bidder is the awful idea.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 PM

huh?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way they presented the issue was really stupid, but Net Neutrality is an awful idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the first person I've seen in opposition to it. Why exactly do you think its an awful idea?

From what I understand, the major telcom companies are pushing to make it legal for them to not only charge companies more money to gaurantee that their sites remain accessible to internet users but also make it legal to block or slow down competitor's sites. For example, CNN.com signs a contract with AT&T that gaurantees speedy delivery of the site while slowing down or blocking fox.com.

Another example that I stole from some other site (can't remember which) is that you pick up the phone to order a pizza from pizza hut. Your phone company then interrupts the call and says "Our preferred pizza delivery company is Domino's. Please press 1 to connect with them now. If you still wish to call Pizza Hut, please wait three minutes while our preferred company completes and gaurantees their orders first."

If the only issue was about allowing companies to pay more for extra bandwidth or extra speed that would be one thing, but to block or slow down competitors is a completely different thing.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Do you have some sort of right to other people's services at conditions of your choosing?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have some sort of right to other people's services at conditions of your choosing?

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

It's fundamentally a moral issue. The government should not be telling companies what they can and can't do with their own bandwidth.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

It's fundamentally a moral issue. The government should not be telling companies what they can and can't do with their own bandwidth.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a moral issue, its a policy issue.

The government already says a company can be the sole provider of cable broadband for this area (monopoly of service), alrady gives it the right to incorporate.

Like it or not, but government and regulation control the industry and will always.

The question is HOW not whether.

Netneutraility is the simplest way to provide the most benefit for the most people.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 PM

I dont get how net neutrality is costing anyone anything extra to use a service.

Surely the opposite is most true.

Did i seriously misunderstand the advert or something?

Btw, this net neutrality is quite lost on me (i had to wiki it to work out wtf was going on) and we dont consider such things here in the uk. Im sure it has something to do with tubes and not dump trucks though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM

The anti-Net Neutrality camp wants copmanies to have the ability to legally extort content providers (more, through a different orafice).

Bandwidth companies sell bandwidth. They should not be able to discriminate with respect to content.