Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 08:00 AM

Default How ofter to isolate raise preflop

Say you are in late position and an early or middle position player raises.

How often and with what (obviously excluding premium hands) should you raise to knock out the blinds and play the pot heads up?

What circumstances must there be?

I see this alot on hands in this forum, but no books seem to speak in detail about this.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Re: How ofter to isolate raise preflop

Early or middle is a big difference. UTG or MP3? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Usually the better pocket pairs, such as 99 or 88. Also depending on how loose the raiser is. Tighter raisers I fold more. Hands you would rather have heads up than multiway. Highcard hands too, but the problem here is you are often dominated, so it depends on who raises from where. If a LAG raises from MP2 I will 3 bet AQ on the CO. If a very tight player raises UTG I will fold that same AQ.

I can't think of much else (besides AJ against a LAG). Many other hands you would play, you rather play against multiple opponents.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:08 AM

Unless the villain is loose preflop, I would only reraise their early or middle position raise with a very good hand. However, I think if you're going to play you usually need to reraise to get it heads up. Sometimes I look to do this with hands as weak as 99. I'd almost always do it with TT.

In my mind, against standard players, isolation plays work best when the single opponent has actually limped in. I think this is where you can raise with weaker hands like KTo...
Old 12-06-2006, 08:14 AM

Yeah I agree. I think the basic rule usually is to cold call AJs, AQs, KQs and perhaps 99-(TT), and to reraise (TT)-AA, AK. In standard settings that's it against a raise. If you just stick to that I don't think you'll miss much.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:16 AM

yeah, i thought pretty much the same. I saw someone do it continually the other day with any pocket pair even as low as 44 no matter who the opponent was.

Apart from this, he wasn't particularly aggresive preflop
Old 12-06-2006, 08:30 AM

44 I'd just fold. He must be thinking that against any two overcards he is slightly ahead. This is NL tournament thinking imo. You might have ~55% against AJ, but it's nearly impossible to play your 4s well. What to do when an A,K,Q or J hits the board? Which usually happens. Besides that, some amount of time you'll be a huge underdog to a higher pair.

Perhaps the whole table was being a push over? Sometimes I come across such weak tight tables that I start raising a lot of hands.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:43 PM

If you believe that your hand is better than the average raising hand of your opponent, you should 3-bet. Otherwise fold. Cold calling is not usually correct.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the basic rule usually is to cold call AJs, AQs, KQs and perhaps 99-(TT)

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, I think the basic rule is to never cold call.

Haupt_234
Old 12-06-2006, 02:30 PM

I don't agree, if you have KQs and an UTG raiser you rather have it multiway if possible. Unless you fold KQs.

But as basic rules become more basic, it's probably correct never to do it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree, if you have KQs and an UTG raiser you rather have it multiway if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

KQs is an exception, but shouldn't be coldcalled in MP or LP after just a single raiser. You need a raise and multiple coldcallers before making the coldcall becomes correct.

Haupt_234