Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 09:01 AM

Default What hourly rate would you think makes a player \"World Class\"

I'm trying to figure out the answer to this. I think its somewhere in the range of $300-$1000 per hour, and probably closer to the higher end. I am getting jealous reading the blogs of some of these cash game players, seems like they are making sick amounts of money.

But anyway what amount of $$ made per hour would you say makes someone a world class player. I'll even make a poll for you guys!
Old 02-03-2006, 09:05 AM

Default Re: What hourly rate would you think makes a player \"World Class\"

I voted over $1000 because there can be very few people who are truly world class. There is a distinction from good, great, amazing , ridiculous, and world class players, and to fall in the top catagory you have to be one of the top 10 or so on the planet.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:06 AM

I dont think you have to be top 10 to be World Class. Maybe the termonology is just bad, but I think I mean more of someone who is obviously ridiculously good. For instance I'd say anyone who plays in the NBA is a world class basketball player.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:07 AM

I think it might be between 300 and 500 per hour including all comps and promotional revenue. If we take the high end of this range and assume they work like 100 hours a month * 12 we yield $600 K of annual income after expenses are deducted. I think that is what a world class player can make these days. Now this covers only players who have world class skills. I assume the big names that have an appeal to the market make easily a seven figure income.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 AM

I bet Steve Danneman has an insane $/h for MTTs.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:10 AM

I don't think that the big names make 7 figures unless you count endorsements and such. I would bet a lot of money against someone like Phil Hellmuth, TJ Cloutier or even Chris Ferguson racking up a 1 million dollar profit throughout a calender year, if you count results alone.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:14 AM

That is easily the most depressing poker stat I could imagine. The absolute legends can't even make a mil? There are tons of idiots given jobs by their dads in banking who clear that while spending half the day playing with their dick and clocking out at 3 p.m.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:17 AM

Everyone knows that a lot of the legends arent really the best players. The guys playing 200-400, 500-1000, or even 10 tabling the online 10-20 NL Cash games are the ones making the $$.

I'm not saying that there aren't tons of people not making 1 mil a year, Im just saying that you haven't heard of a lot of them or even seen them on TV, because they don't care about playing in tournaments for the prospect of being on TV and are happy enough with the ridiculous amounts of money they are making right now.

If all you play is MTTs theres no way Im expecting you to make 1 million per year, almost no matter who you are.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 AM

With the cash games, it seems much more datamining and table selection has to be done than SnGs which are probably not included in the hourly rate but will sometimes take time. ie, waiting on a waiting list for a juicy 100/200 table for 4 hours because Party only has 2 of them, etc.

Can just load 10 SnGs and off to the races.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Witht he cash games, it seems much more dtatmining and table selection has to be done than SnGs which are probably not included in the hourly rate but will sometimes take time. ie, waiting on a waiting list for a juicy 100/200 table for 4 hours because Party only has 2 of them, etc.

Can just load 10 SnGs and off to the races.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe although I think the NL players make more than the limit players, but this is pure speculation.