Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 PM

Default Terrible? A3, turn raise

Button is taggy, at about 21/14 or so.

I was planning on C/Ring the flop, when UTG donks I decided to call the flop and probably fold the turn UI depending on the action. However, the turn action changed my mind.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6.33SB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4.67BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises
Old 12-06-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Terrible? A3, turn raise

Any read on UTG? Most likely he's bad and loose and button should know this, making a bet with AKd less likely. I really don't think he bets this turn with another unpaired hand, but who knows. If UTG is really bad, he probably won't fold anything that u beat to the c/r.

You're in a bad spot, and my guess is to call and see what develops on the river. But i think c/ring flop and leading turn is still best.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:22 AM

You probably should've raised/folded flop. I do'nt like calling that much. Frankly you could even bet it out and maybe take it down right there. The way it played out you probably wouldn't have given up much by folding the turn or you could call as well. This line is a little sloppy.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 AM

i don't like it. most TAGs aren't trying to steal here, and the pot is not very large. i would just fold the turn.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:00 AM

i dont think its terrible if UTG is able to lay down a pocket pair 44-88 and BU is likely to bet an unpaired hand on the turn.
i like the flop call getting 8:1. other line could be to raise and bet/fold the turn (raise call the flop and fold turn UI). but i would simply call and fold UI when UTG bets the turn again.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 AM

Anybody else think calling the raise w/ this hand is just asking for trouble to begin with?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 AM

i would c/r flop. u have the best hand some a decent amount and can make the pfr fold some better hands

turn c/r is kinda dumb since the pot is small

folding pf is crazy
Old 12-06-2006, 08:11 AM

folding preflop avoids situations like this. If you hit your A, you can't like your 3, and have no idea if you're good or not. If you hit your 3, you sure as hell can't think you're good if you get any kind of action.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:47 AM

Gotta check-raise this flop. If your turn bet then gets called then I guess you can check/fold most rivers. As played I fold to Button's turn bet.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:01 PM

I think that when button bets here, your pair of 3s are no good. I highly doubt the button is taking one of those "no one's got squat, maybe I can take it down with a bet" lines. The pot is a healthy size and he is bluffing here very infrequently. Your play is nice for knocking out AK (but do you really want to have AK fold???) and for your table image. Other than that, it's no good. Just fold, you have 5 outs and not enough $$ in the pot to draw out.