Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2006, 04:48 AM

Default mmm mmm calling

4 handed 100/200

one of those overagro/doesn't QUITE get it but not ridiculous and has a clue type's raises in the CO, I opt to cold-call with king jack.

Blinds fold.

Flop comes A76r

He bets, I call.

turn 6h

He bets, I call.

river Ac

He bets, I call.

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:55 AM

Default Re: mmm mmm calling

How often to you 'float' like this? Do you prefer to do so with hands that don't exactly have great showdown value like KJo,QTs,JTs,T9s? I know it confuses me when my opposition floats one of my open raises so I was thinking about maybe adding it to my bag of tricks. Just wondering what kind of factors need to be present for you to make this play. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:59 AM

Old 02-03-2006, 05:51 AM

If he has a clue, I would think he would not bet the river unless he wants a call or thinks you have exactly 98. I would also guess he wouldn't think you would cold call with 98.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:16 AM

did you chop with KQ? or beat 44?
i don't get it.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

one of those overagro/doesn't QUITE get it but not ridiculous and has a clue type's raises in the CO, I opt to cold-call with king jack.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant
Old 02-03-2006, 12:23 PM

if i float in this spot, its usually not with a hand like KJo.

if you knew on the turn that you were going to call a bet on the river (and be correct to) id rather a raise/fold to a turn 3 bet which sacrifices hiting a K/J on riv (if it woulda been good) and folds out hands that have 6 outs to beat you (usually a case against raising the turn...but here you're hand may not even be good now) and may get him to fold a pair that he wouldn't had you just called the turn.

either way i dont like this hand much at all and given that i did call preflop id release on the flop.

-Barron
Old 02-03-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often to you 'float' like this? Do you prefer to do so with hands that don't exactly have great showdown value like KJo,QTs,JTs,T9s? I know it confuses me when my opposition floats one of my open raises so I was thinking about maybe adding it to my bag of tricks. Just wondering what kind of factors need to be present for you to make this play. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd usually 3 bet this, but every once in awhile I just feel like calling and maybe that's a mistake. It might be the short term but I've had pretty decent success with making these types of cold-calls occaisionally with players who don't fold. I think it might give a better balance too so I can call more 98s and stuff like that as they'll have a hard er time putting me on a range.

Maybe I'm retarded and outthinking myself and I should just be 3 betting. Sometimes I let my mind go and convince myself to play a hand a certain way. This was kind of a 'weird one' so I thought I'd post it to get some thoughts as I'm not confident about the way I played it.

Flawless : would you like it better if I had JT?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i float in this spot, its usually not with a hand like KJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never used to either but I've been experimenting with stuff like that the last few months with suprising sucess.

I may be wrong but for a lot of reasons I like calling on the flop. Given his range of hands I feel like i'm in fine shape but given that the more I think about it the more 3 betting seems like a better play but like I said i 3 bet most of the time here and cold call every once in awhile. Usually the reason I call is if one of the blinds is a pretty bad player who will come along too and make some post-flop mistakes.

[ QUOTE ]

if you knew on the turn that you were going to call a bet on the river (and be correct to) id rather a raise/fold to a turn 3 bet which sacrifices hiting a K/J on riv (if it woulda been good) and folds out hands that have 6 outs to beat you (usually a case against raising the turn...but here you're hand may not even be good now) and may get him to fold a pair that he wouldn't had you just called the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah and I think that's one of my leaks, I don't do this enough.

[ QUOTE ]

either way i dont like this hand much at all and given that i did call preflop id release on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Perhaps. I'll give it more thought.