Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 AM

Default 6 team playoff

1 and two get a by.. blah blah blah u know how it works

Would this not be great for college football
It would still make the regular season count greatly considering six teams is still a limited number, aslo teams 1 and 2 have a significant advantage
Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 AM

Default Re: 6 team playoff

I like it, but honestly how much hype does the BCS generate for college football, be it good or bad. Every year, we end up having the same argument and college football is loving the publicity, which translates into cashmoney.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:03 AM

I don't think you'll find anyone here that disagrees with you that we need a playoff. The number of teams that get in is what the main issue of debate would be.

I know this may sound crazy, but what about actually having a playoff each year, but have it be so that the number of teams is not fixed. Have a comittee, and make sure that they are an intelligent and unbaised group. And then each year they'll change the number of teams based upon the number of possible deserving teams. So if there are two undfeated teams that are clearly above every other team and everyone else has one loss or more, then you just have one game. Three deserving teams? Then give the best team a bye and have a 3 team playoff. And so on and so on.

Obviously this would still create a lot of controversy, but I think that controversy might actually be good for the sport because it gets people talking and debating more and more.

Actually now that I think about it....do you guys think that part of the reason that they havn't gone with a playoff is because they like the controversy? For me personally, its totally true. Normally I wouldn't care at all about this year's NT game. But I think that Michigan should've gone, so I'd really like to see Florida just get killed and Michigan win their game convincingly too. So as a result, I'm definitely more into it solely due to the controversy.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll find anyone here that disagrees with you that we need a playoff. The number of teams that get in is what the main issue of debate would be.

I know this may sound crazy, but what about actually having a playoff each year, but have it be so that the number of teams is not fixed. Have a comittee, and make sure that they are an intelligent and unbaised group. And then each year they'll change the number of teams based upon the number of possible deserving teams. So if there are two undfeated teams that are clearly above every other team and everyone else has one loss or more, then you just have one game. Three deserving teams? Then give the best team a bye and have a 3 team playoff. And so on and so on.

Obviously this would still create a lot of controversy, but I think that controversy might actually be good for the sport because it gets people talking and debating more and more.

Actually now that I think about it....do you guys think that part of the reason that they havn't gone with a playoff is because they like the controversy? For me personally, its totally true. Normally I wouldn't care at all about this year's NT game. But I think that Michigan should've gone, so I'd really like to see Florida just get killed and Michigan win their game convincingly too. So as a result, I'm definitely more into it solely due to the controversy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post... I agree with everything generally except the first line, that we 'need' a playoff.

Honestly, I hate the BCS, have hated it since it arrived. It's only function is monetary. But, that is also the reason it isn't going anywhere.

You are right, the controversy sells. UM football is by far my fav sports team, and I knew they weren't going to get a rematch, but even so I wouldn't change the system to benefit them. Even though they got screwed like a dime store whore, I still would rather have it this way than have a playoff.

A playoff starts a snowball. First you include the top four teams (six teams doesn't work, giving the top two a bye is too big of an advantage), then someone bitches because one year there were five undefeateds and someone was snubbed. So they expand it to eight teams (six conference winners and two at larges) and the undefeated Utahs and Boise States of the world start bitching and before you know it you have March Madness in December. And once you open the can of worms, you can never stop it.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:18 AM

The only way to make the championship right is on the field and thats coming from a tOSU fan who thinks no one can beat them anyway.But in all seriousness we need a playoff.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll find anyone here that disagrees with you that we need a playoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I like the current system, it makes regular season games meaningful, unlike every other sport in America. How exciting would the Michigan-OSU game have been if both teams knew they were going to make the playoffs, win or lose?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll find anyone here that disagrees with you that we need a playoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I like the current system, it makes regular season games meaningful, unlike every other sport in America. How exciting would the Michigan-OSU game have been if both teams knew they were going to make the playoffs, win or lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as exciting as it is every other year that neither one of them is contending for a national championship. I mean, wtf. Why do people keep saying this? It makes no sense at all.

[rant]Why should all other sports be different than college football? Clearly, they all have it wrong. The NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, all of them. Why is there a World Cup in soccer. And the Olympics and World Games have it wrong, too. Why should the US have to play all these nobodies in basketball when when it's so obvious that they should just be voted directly into the finals. The "Miracle On Ice" was garbage. The US had no business playing the Soviets in hockey. Villanova - Georgetown never should have happened. What kind of "real" sports fan wants to see that crap? High school football shouldn't have a playoff, either. I was home for Thanksgiving and turned on the state championship game and the #4 ranked team in the state is playing for the title? I had to turn it off. It makes me sick to my stomach. Decide it on the field? Why? We already know who the best team is. The poll says so.

The more we can do to make all sports more like boxing, figure skating, gymnastics, diving, and synchronized swimming the better, imho.[/rant]
Old 12-05-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Duke-UNC basketball games are never boring.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as exciting as it is every other year that neither one of them is contending for a national championship. I mean, wtf. Why do people keep saying this? It makes no sense at all.

[rant]Why should all other sports be different than college football? Clearly, they all have it wrong. The NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, all of them. Why is there a World Cup in soccer. And the Olympics and World Games have it wrong, too. Why should the US have to play all these nobodies in basketball when when it's so obvious that they should just be voted directly into the finals. The "Miracle On Ice" was garbage. The US had no business playing the Soviets in hockey. Villanova - Georgetown never should have happened. What kind of "real" sports fan wants to see that crap? High school football shouldn't have a playoff, either. I was home for Thanksgiving and turned on the state championship game and the #4 ranked team in the state is playing for the title? I had to turn it off. It makes me sick to my stomach. Decide it on the field? Why? We already know who the best team is. The poll says so.

The more we can do to make all sports more like boxing, figure skating, gymnastics, diving, and synchronized swimming the better, imho.[/rant]

[/ QUOTE ]

If my wife read this, she would think I hacked your account. I agree completely, well said.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.