Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 01:09 AM

Default Stars 2/4. ATo vs the BB.

Villain had TAGish PT stats over about 120. I didn't really notice him do anything out of the ordinary, and assume he's playing pretty reasonable.

Since taking people to valuetown is one of my favorite pastimes, I thought I might post this hand.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero ???

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

He checks on the river, and I'm thinking "valuetown baby". When he check raises, my thoughts change to "WTF?".

Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Stars 2/4. ATo vs the BB.

I play the hand the same and call the river and then make an appropriate note if he did something very weird...
Old 12-05-2006, 02:52 AM

i think you may have gotten schooled here. i'd check behind on the river. if he'd bet the river i would have called obviously.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:26 AM

First thought is that BB raising the flop screams T to me. Most players wait till the turn to raise (especially with a rainbow flop)He could have PP I guess too.

He may have a monster or he may have lead the turn b/c he wasn't reraised on the flop. You can talk about "valuetown" but I want to find out where we are. I'm not certain we're ahead on the flop. I really think we need a raise somewhere in here. (either 3 betting the flop or raising the turn I'm not sure. Flop would probably be better cause it's cheaper)

On the river, I strongly think we're beat. The way this hand was played I'm calling just to see what this guy has. Would he play KJ like this? Would he play T9 like this? J8? Maybe he thinks that raising the flop against a thinking player (you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) on a rainbow flop will disguise his trips. Either way I'm real curious about this one.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think we need a raise somewhere in here. (either 3 betting the flop or raising the turn I'm not sure. Flop would probably be better cause it's cheaper)

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think we should raise here without some specific reads on the villain. I think we're either way ahead or way behind. I think we should just go into call down mode from the flop raise.

I think OP played the hand perfectly up to this point. I think the river value bet is good. We seem to be in deep troble when we get raised. However, I think a call would be profitable with this weird action.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:50 AM

I'm afraid I don't have results on this one. I folded.

Regardless of his hand I got schooled. Either I was making a thin value bet on the river, although I think betting here is correct against most opponents, or he pulled some crazy rare bluff. Checking here is the safe play, but I'm not looking for safe, I'm looking to make money. When he checked the river I was convinced he had exactly the hand I hoped he had(JT), and maybe I became overconfident about this, since betting when checked to seemed to be the obvious play.

I'm open to debate on my flop and turn play also, as 3-betting the flop is an idea. The only problem I have with that is I'm probably going to need to bet the turn and fold to a CR, which I hate doing against agressive opponents in the blinds.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 AM

I'm real curious too. I know wish I'd thrown away the $4 and found out his hand, I just couldn't imagine him pulling a bluff off here. I know often I will raise this flop with trips since against thinking players will tend to believe the flop CR much less than the turn CR and call down(as I was doing until the river check).
Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 AM

when i really want to know what someone has but i'm a bit scared i c/c the river or check behind [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2006, 12:02 PM

I three bet this flop heads up against the blind and bet fold the turn.

It looks like he has KJ (I would have played it this way if I was him) so I wouldnt lose any sleep over the fold.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's results oriented. This is a pretty easy bet when checked to and a fold when he check raises. You don't beat anything except air and he would need balls of steel to play air this way.