Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Wallet needs help! 2/5 No Limit $300 Buy-In

I frequent a $2/$5 No limit ($300 Buy In)Brick & Mortar ring game and am at break even on long term basis. My lack of profit is caused by infrequent, but large losses. I keep running into players who seem to make horrendous calls and take down huge pots.

Here is an example:

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2/$5
10 players

Stack sizes:
Assume all players have $300 min at all times which is generally the case at this specific game unless noted otherwise.

SB
BB
X1
X2
X3
X4=Big Lew $275 stack.
X5
X6
X7
Button $600 stack

Big Lew has recently moved from another table and doesn't have sense of players at this time.

Pre-flop: (10 players) X1, X2, and X3 all fold. Big Lew holds KsKc and raises to $20. (This raise usually thins the field) X5 folds. X6, X7, Button and SB call. BB folds.

Flop: Jc 7h 4s ($105, 5 players)

This looks like a great flop for Big Lew!

Due to # of players, Big Lew leads with psb. X6 and X7 fold. Button calls and SB folds.

I am at this point putting button on AJ due to the call of the large bet. If he has a set, I'm in bad shape.

Turn: 7c ($315, 2 players)

Using Vigorish as a reason, putting the button on AJ, and figuring that the Button could in no way call with just a pair of sevens or fours and no two pair likely, I push all-in for an additonal $150. I realize if he flopped a set or has AA, I probably can't get away from the hand anyway.

Button calls $150 and shows 5s 7d

He called my post flop bet as a 4 to 1 dog with a pair of sevens and a five kicker!

River: 10h ($615)

Button wins hand... I call it a night.

As a tight and aggressive player, I would like to improve my game, but my winnings, in general, have been offset by similar loses as described above. My game allows me to grind up to $300 - $600 on a general poker night, but I always seem to lose the big pots back to these types of opponents.

Any advice? How does one get away from these types of beats?

What am I not seeing here? Overplaying big pairs? I don't think this specific hand could have gone down any other way.

I understand these types of hands are going to happen, but would like to show a better return on my playing time.

In addition, I can completely destroy my 6 player home game. $1/$2 No limit holdem with 6 players.

I am also interested in betting strategies if anyone has specific links and advice.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Wallet needs help! 2/5 No Limit $300 Buy-In

u typea lot of worrds