Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Rutgers football coach Schiano turned down Thug-U

story here

Report says that Schiano will stay with Rutgers football program and that he turned down the Miami job. He will likely get a raise next season as well.

Is this a good move?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Rutgers football coach Schiano turned down Thug-U

smart man
Old 12-04-2006, 04:38 PM

very good move
Old 12-04-2006, 04:44 PM

Good for Schiano!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good for Schiano!

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better for Rutgers!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very good move

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. That job would be a nightmare.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:09 PM

Ah...thank God. I would have been very pissed off if he left.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
very good move

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll expand
At Rutgers, Schiano has:
-a good relationship with the AD, the University and the community
-security, he's not likely to be fired for falling below expectations for quite some time
-better facilities for practice, weight training, studying, etc
-a large, closely located alumni
-the exposure of both the New York and Philadelphia markets
-most importantly, a huge recruiting pool that he can easily win the race to get

New Jersey has had its fair share of talented players. However, you never hear about the state as being a power. Why? The recruits have been spread out forever as there was no school to keep them at home. New Jersey players found themselves at Notre Dame, Penn State, Syracuse, etc. HOnestly, there is a power vacuum with Penn State not being what it was (it's still great, but it is not the year-in year-out top10 team it was before joining the big10) and Syracuse (they've fallen on hard times). There is good reason to think Schiano can dominate the home state recruiting for the next few years. The snowball has already started. He can become to Rutgers what JoePa is to Penn State.
In addition, the BigEast is screaming for a contendor. I like the position of all BigEast schools. With only 8 teams in the conference and a pretty decent tv contract, their is massive exposure for the teams in the conference. There are a couple of games on ESPN every week. I've seen every bigEast team multiple times with just local cable (of course, i've seen a handful of others on ESPNGameplan).

Miami does have the history and the solid recruiting base. However, competition for tv time in the ACC is tougher with 12 teams and more programs competing (well, 11 teams competing as Duke seems to have given up on football). The Florida recruiting base is chock full, but the competition is intense. The Miami fans have very large expectations. They turned on Coker awful quick and I think that negativity hurt the program more the last few years than Coker's inadequecies did. Miami's facilities are garbage. Plus, it's tougher to instill discipline and work ethic among the extracurriculars around the Miami campus compared to Pascataway.

So, good move by Schiano

The negative is it will be tougher to compete for a national title if that is his ultimate goal. The talent base in South Florida is that good.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:18 PM

The big problem I had with Coker is he couldn't recruit like Butch Davis did. Butch Davis was probally the best recruiter Miami has ever had. The talent level was rediculous. With Coker at the helm on multiple occasions we'd get a guy who was saying he would come but would change his mind at the last minute. We've been left with less then stellar talent, and less then stellar top position players. You can't win in college without top level recruiting. He couldn't do it. Miami will be back, some how they always come back. There will be some coordinator that they will grab now that all the top tier coaches who they wanted were gone. Coker wasn't fixing the problems. Under Butch the team was rather clean but not perfect. Now it's a mockery of itself. ACC is better than the Big East, but not this much better. Miami is just worse then they've been in the past.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In December, he got a seven-year contract extension that boosted his guaranteed salary, from a combination of Rutgers and private sources, by 77%.

Schiano's 2006 salary of $911,000 makes him the highest-paid public employee in New Jersey, yet he still lags behind the $1.4 million average for coaches in the Big East, Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific-10 and Southeastern conferences, according to a USA TODAY study of Division I-A coaches' compensation. He's slightly below the $950,000 average for Division I-A coaches, according to the study. While he has several lucrative bonus provisions, Schiano won't crack the $1 million mark in guaranteed salary until the 2009 season.

[/ QUOTE ]