Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Im thinking of taking up bartending....

Whats up guys,

Im thinking of going to bartending school. Anyone else have experence with this and/or bartending in general? What should I expect? How easy is it to find a job after completing the course?

ac.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Im thinking of taking up bartending....

Hey ackid--I'm a bartender, and have worked in the restaurant/bar industry for years. Heres my opinion, take it for what it's worth...

Those bartending school classes are a bit of a joke with most people I know and work with. As in, having gone to one won't really help you get a job bartending. Or maybe it would help you get a job bartending at a TGIFridays, but not at restaurants or bars you'd want to work at.

Having said that, it might be worth going just to learn how to make drinks. Especially if you've never made drinks and have no idea what you're doing.

My advice, broadly, would be to pick a good restaurant wherever you live, start working there doing whatever they need, do a good job, and try to transition to bartending by getting in their good graces. Or pick a bar and apply to bar-back (helping the bartender on busy nights). This is an easy way to pick up on what a bartender does and how to make drinks.

But yeah, good luck. I personally really enjoy the job, and it's a good trade to learn--the world will always need bartenders.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM

You wanna be this guy??

Old 12-03-2006, 11:14 PM

Hey OP. I have been bartending for two years and the money is good. I like the job for more reasons than though. Those courses are absolutely worthless. You can get behind a bar and learn as you go. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:17 PM

Aren't the best bartending jobs at big clubs etc?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:21 PM

The best jobs are not necessarily at the biggest clubs. The best jobs are where the best clientel hang out. Generally, the more people you serve, the better the job. Some club jobs can be so big that you end up not providing good service, everyone gets pissed, and you don't get tipped.

The money at any job improves over time as you get to know the regulars of any particular spot.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best jobs are not necessarily at the biggest clubs. The best jobs are where the best clientel hang out. Generally, the more people you serve, the better the job. Some club jobs can be so big that you end up not providing good service, everyone gets pissed, and you don't get tipped.

The money at any job improves over time as you get to know the regulars of any particular spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who works at a music hall on mostly the biggests shows. 200-800 is the pay a night, only tips. I just assumed it was a matter of drinks served per hour which is directly dependent on people there.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:30 PM

Yes, the more you serve, the more you will generally make. The people you are serving will matter though.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:40 PM

I'm just cutting and pasting my reply to the last guy who asked the question:

You will have a really tough time getting a decent job unless you are a big Abercrombie type guy. Most of the popular and high-end places hire based almost entirely on looks.

There is no such thing as a "bartending license." These courses will teath you how to make drinks and be a good bartender but the certification is useless in helping you to find a job. Again, you will have a lot of trouble finding a job unless you have big [censored] or are a big meathead guy.

I worked as a bartender for about a year in a private club (a club for rich people, not the fun kind). If you really want to work as a bartender, concentrate on golf clubs, non-trendy restaurants, college bars, etc.

Working as a barback can help you get a job but can often hurt your prospects. Barbacks are promoted only rarely because, while there is an unending supply of qualified bartenders, a good barback is much harder to find, especially if you know the place and its system.

PM me if you want more info RE bartending school and the job market.

edit: The most important thing is experience. If you've worked as a bartender before, you'll have a much easier time finding another job. It's getting that first job that's damn near impossible.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You wanna be this guy??

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to be that guy.

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't the best bartending jobs at big clubs etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the best bartending jobs are at high-end bars and restaurants.