Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Terrible on the bubble fold?

I'm almost embarassed to say that I did this but maybe someone will say it wasn't as stupid as it looks to me right now: 19 players left and 18 get paid in ps 180. I've got an M of 3 although I'm not even close to the shortest stack and I'm on the big blind (blinds 400-800.) I won't bore you with all of it but the short stack went all in for 1400, a few players called and me in the big blind with 10-5 os folded instead of putting in $600 more. By that time there was $5300 so I was getting almost 10 to 1 on my money.

Is there any situation where it is correct to fold this hand with those kind of odds? I made it into the money but if feels like a really stupid fold on my part especially with those kind of odds. As you can guess, I would have flopped a monster and trippled up but let's forget that for now and just address the fold. Terrible, right? Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Terrible on the bubble fold?

I don't hate the fold honestly...you're gonna have to hit 2 pair or better to really like your hand with that many people in the pot. Also, you're OOP, so if you do catch like TP or something it's gonna take getting ai to figure out where you are. I'm sure you were getting the right price, I imagine you were something like 15% to win on average, but playing OOP is gonna make the hand very difficult. I'd have folded and saved my chips to try and preserve some FE when I have first in vig.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Thanks Dunk; The reason I folded despite the great odds was mostly because we were right on the bubble and I get too demoralized finishing just out of the money after playing two plus hours. Another reason I folded was that I could see getting myself into trouble by parially hitting the flop out of position.

I'm glad to hear that at least one person didn't hate my move. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I folded despite the great odds was mostly because we were right on the bubble and I get too demoralized finishing just out of the money after playing two plus hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

You made the correct fold IMO, but according to this, you did so for all of the wrong reasons.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:43 PM

i like the fold too
Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 PM

This is very borderline, but I think it's a fold. T7-9 is a call IMO
Old 12-04-2006, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason I folded despite the great odds was mostly because we were right on the bubble and I get too demoralized finishing just out of the money after playing two plus hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

You made the correct fold IMO, but according to this, you did so for all of the wrong reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reply is the truth. You need to make sure you are making your decisions for the right reasons. If bubbling makes you feel demoralized, reconsider playing MTT's. In your case, I would fold as well, but not for fear of bubbling.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:14 PM

Keep in mind also that your 15% equity in the hand assumes that you see all 5 cards, but as has been pointed out, you won't get past the flop without at least 2pr. Your odds of flopping this good are less than 7%, so mathematically, it was a good fold, even getting 10 to 1.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:18 PM

yeah; right fold wrong reason. One small addition to the reasons others gave for it being a good fold is that it's really dangerous to bleed chips in marginal spots in the late stages, because your best case scenario and best chance for big money involves a couple doubleups between now and the ft, and 2x/4x/8xing 400 fewer chips than you would have otherwise sucks. This is more applicable to stuff like calling raises looking for a big flop but it applies here too I think.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:03 AM

darka: could you elaborate. How would folding when getting 10-1 odds on a small portion of my stack (an extra $600 out of $4300) be correct if I wasn't concerned about bubbling?