Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2006, 10:44 PM

Default College Major

I searched for this question, I know it is somewhere. I don't know how to use the search function effectively. If you can direct me to it, thanks, if not, maybe you can answer this for me.

I started college as a Criminology major. Right now I am Business-Finance. I got into trading stocks and that is why it was my major. Now, I lost interest in trading stocks and I love playing poker.

What college major would be of most benefit to me in relation to playing poker? I was thinking Probablity/Statistics.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: College Major

I think the Finance Major is pretty in line and is more useful in the job market than a major in Statistics imo.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:49 PM

When you graduate you will quickly realize that your job is a huge portion of your life. If you major in finance and get a good finance job you can expect to spent most of you waking hours at work. Same for any other career.

A career defines who you are. If you don't enjoy your job you won't enjoy most of your life. Pick a topic you enjoy, worry about employability later. As you have probably learned from poker there is a shortage of intelligent competent people out there. If you are intelligent and competent you'll get a job. I quit my job a month ago, and with almost no training it looks like I'll get another one for around the same pay. You just need to be smart.

As for a major helping you with poker, that is absurd. Study poker, study a major in case you don't want to do poker for a living.

And don't be afraid to explore non traditional majors. Right now I'm saving up for tuition in a 3d animation program. Trade schools can be a good way to go too.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:09 AM

No need to choose a major to get better at poker, just take certain electives. The best ones for poker would be Game Theory and Finite Mathematics.

Those Finance classes help with poker too I find (I took a bunch of Finance myself in college), with regards to EV, risk vs. return, etc.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A career defines who you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with you more. What defines who you are is how you live your life. Sure, work has something to do with that, but maybe not all that much. Sometimes people do what they must because of circumstance.

I personally wouldn't want to choose a major that has anything to do with poker. I play poker because it helps gives me the freedom to do what I really want.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:50 AM

i have a BS in statistics and am doing my masters right now, i will finish sometime this year.

i can answer any questions you might have.

statistics has plenty of options including within the finance area itself, such as business, marketing, sports, medicine/health for starters. also the job market is better since there aren't many people with degrees in it but lots of jobs out there. i'm doing my MS so i can work in biostatistics.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No need to choose a major to get better at poker, just take certain electives. The best ones for poker would be Game Theory and Finite Mathematics.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was almost word for word what I was going to say.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A career defines who you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree with you more. What defines who you are is how you live your life. Sure, work has something to do with that, but maybe not all that much. Sometimes people do what they must because of circumstance.

[/ QUOTE ]
A couple of studies have shown that if your company has certain standards and views over something, you will begin to have those same standards and views over time.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:33 AM

Almost any real career you have you'll spend about 10/16 waking hours doing. Most of your close friends and assosciates will likely be related to your work somehow. So yes, it has a huge effect on defining who you are.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 AM

Barry Greenstein says the optimal college degree for a poker player is a major in Psychology with a minor in Mathematics. I'm inclined to agree with him.