Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 PM

Default (PS$11 slow) top two pair - sequence of confused bets

Playing a bit of the Stars slow tourneys for the post-flop play. And now here is a hand where I get confused every time a card comes. Feel like I could play every street differently. Especially feel like I should bet out the river, or raise on the end, although there might be deeper problems elsewhere. Thanks for any comments guys.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t2440)
<font color="#C00000">Button (t3775)</font>
SB (t1220)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1095)</font>
UTG (t1025)
UTG+1 (t1080)
MP1 (t1680)
MP2 (t1185)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t30, Button calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t105) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t105) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, CO calls t60, Button calls t60.

River: (t285) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120, CO folds.

Final Pot: t525

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qd Ks (flush, king high).
Button has Ts Jc (flush, queen high).
Outcome: Hero wins t525. </font>
Old 02-02-2006, 11:36 PM

Default Re: (PS$11 slow) top two pair - sequence of confused bets

Preflop is fine.

Bet that flop. There's no reason to think that people are going to bet it for you with all the limping (unless you had a read to the contrary) and this board is very dangerous for your hand.

I think the turn is okay, but one thing you need to think about is what you're going to do when you're raised here. You have a draw to a strong flush and a pretty solid made hand. If you don't have an answer to this question, then don't bet. In this situation, I think you should call a raise if one comes.

Against good opposition your river play is okay, but against bad players who are prone to paying off you need to raise, and you should probably bet in the first place because you want to get something out of your hand.