Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 06:21 PM

Default How do you beat bad players?

One of my NL leaks (I am coming from FL) is that I don't make a big effort to put players on a range of hands. I'm talking about bad players. I mostly rely on betting patterns and "feel" about the player. That might be OK for FL but in NL where one mistake is enough to mess up an otherwise excellent session, how do you go about it (against bad players)?

This hand is an example:
SB is 22/7 (from datamining, just joined) and villain is 63/3 generally loose passive, slowplays to death his big hands, but also probably tilting since he lost 2/3 of his stack. He usually minbets the flop, so his bet is very odd here.

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $328.56
Hero: $215.75
CO: $75.90
Button: $106.00
SB: $197.00
BB: $78.60

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($21, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $11.19</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

(btw what do you think of the flop call? I thought that SB wouldn't overcall with a worse hand)

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($43.38, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB is all-in $62.41</font>, Hero calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($168.2, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $168.2)

Villain had 25o

So what is your thought process when you are in a hand with a bad player?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: How do you beat bad players?

you serioiusly have to take out the results in this one, if you want meaningful answers
Old 12-02-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what is your thought process when you are in a hand with a bad player?

[/ QUOTE ]

--&gt; Do I have TPGK+? Check.
--&gt; Arrrrrrr innnnn!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you serioiusly have to take out the results in this one, if you want meaningful answers

[/ QUOTE ]

I see. My question is more general about what kind of thought process you follow against a bad player. Do you try to put him on a hand? Do you rely on betting patterns? Other reads? How do you weigh these different factors? How do you adjust your calling/folding thershold etc.

I put the hand/results only to show the kind of villain I'm talking about.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:40 PM

i think this hand is played fine... the flop is tricky due to SB being behind you, but calling is a good option, i think

on the turn if he doesn't put you all-in, v-bet w/ the hopes of getting it all-in by the river

the shorter villain's stack, the less thinking is required

w/ full stacks you should def. try to put them on a hand or id a bluff using their bet-sizing, calling ranges, etc.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re:

[ QUOTE ]
How do you beat bad players?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $328.56
Hero: $215.75
CO: $75.90
Button: $106.00
SB: $197.00
BB: $78.60

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($21, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $11.19</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

(btw what do you think of the flop call? I thought that SB wouldn't overcall with a worse hand)

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($43.38, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB is all-in $62.41</font>, Hero calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($168.2, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $168.2)

Villain had 25o

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

w/ full stacks you should def. try to put them on a hand or id a bluff using their bet-sizing, calling ranges, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think my example was not the best. My question is more interesting in deep stack situations.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:48 PM

In my experience, there are 2 different types of REALLY bad players. The first kind is just maniacal and far too aggressive...just let him bet to you- no need to raise, like this hand you posted. These are the guys that you you are going to experience some variance with, because yes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. The second type of bad player is the guy that will call down with anything...any pair, A high sometimes, even the nuts. Just value bet the [censored] out of this guy. Not as much variance here either.

This is a very basic strat post, but I dont think there is any need to get tricky vs these guys. Just let them build you up and move up to the next level so you can find some richer donkeys.

You can try all you want to put these guys on hands, but the fact remains that the worse a player is the harder it is to put him on a hand. Unless you have a good read on something the guy does, just play your cards- and use pot control methods accordingly.