Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Question for Minimum Wagers

Sorry for another thread, delete if you want... I'm bored of seeing the same arguments rehashed over and over again.

ok my question:

I have 50 acres of land in the middle of the desert. I cannot build on the land as it is too unstable and there is no value in planting crops.

There are billions of pennies hidden throughout my land. The fastest and most economically efficient method of retrieving these pennies is by hand. One person can retrieve 500 pennies per hour.

The minimum wage is $6 per hour.

Many people have come to me looking for work. Should I be able to hire these people who want to work for me? I cannot afford to operate at a loss.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Question for Minimum Wagers

Dig it yourself unless you can't live on 5 dollars an hour. Also the most efficient way to use it would not be "by hand" it would be using a huge machine with a screen on it and a few Cat's and Dumptrucks.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dig it yourself unless you can't live on 5 dollars an hour. Also the most efficient way to use it would not be "by hand" it would be using a huge machine with a screen on it and a few Cat's and Dumptrucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you must seriously hate poor people. How many hobos have you murdered?
Old 12-02-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

come on man, the OP is really stupid. Or are just going to ignore that because he happens to defend youre position?
Old 12-02-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You suck at hypotheticals.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

come on man, the OP is really stupid. Or are just going to ignore that because he happens to defend youre position?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really see what's so stupid about it. It's a hypothetical. Hypotheticals don't have to be perfect reflections of reality to make a point.

And it's more that CaptainFreedom's point is still really anti-poor-people. OP has jobs that he can offer at $4.50 an hour. Workers come and want to work for that wage. It's hard to see a rationale for forcibly preventing this other than a vicious dislike of humanity.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post is stupid. How about that.

Are you telling me that there are ZERO jobs that have a maximum value of $5 per hour that still provide a NET GAIN to the economy?

The problem with economics is that even with an example this simple, people still manage to confuse it and [censored] it up; see the 1st reply to the thread.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 PM

on youre hypothetical you are basically giving away free money, thats like saying you cant donate 4 dollars to charity because of minimum wage.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your post is stupid. How about that.

Are you telling me that there are ZERO jobs that have a maximum value of $5 per hour that still provide a NET GAIN to the economy?

The problem with economics is that even with an example this simple, people still manage to confuse it and [censored] it up; see the 1st reply to the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

The negative externality of these jobs might be more costly than the positive (minor) benefit. Not to mention that even if such jobs are illegal, you could easily just set it up under the table if you have enough incentive.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be able to hire these people who want to work for me?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, there should be no laws forbidding you to hire them.

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot afford to operate at a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]Then the pennies shall remain buried until the minimum wage is lowered, or you get a special exemption from the law.

Mickey Brausch