Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 12:04 AM

Default Guidance on Heads Up play.

Can anyone direct me to some good books, articles or dvds that deal with heads up play in no limit? I know Harrington 2 has a section but I need more. Thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Guidance on Heads Up play.

just push a lot. J3s? all-in. 95o? depends on the player. K4o? easy push.
btw this adivce is for MTTs when each player has a million chips and the blinds are like 40000/80000.

edit: im 1 for 1 on MTTs Heads-up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 AM

Play a ton of HU matches, try different things.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:03 AM

take control and be the agressor. from the sb raise a lot and definitely call with any two unless you're getting raised a lot or you're shortstacked and pushbotting. bet all pairs. bet all draws. be the aggressor and you will get paid off when you get a big hand.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 AM

I haven't found anything I've read on heads-up play to be very useful, but I've been pretty successful heads up in the low ($6-$25) MTT sng's that I mostly play using the following two rules:
1. Be aggressive.
2. Look for 'patterns' in your opponent's play.
3. Treat a single occurence of something as if its a pattern.

I suspect that at higher buy ins, #3 won't be much use anymore.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:57 AM

1. Never open fold the button
2. Try to play big pots in position and small pots out of position (i.e. raise from the button a LOT, even with total junk).
3. Position >>> Cards
4. C-Bet a lot when you raise from the button and are checked to (ESPECIALLY when you have junk). If your opponent gets wise to contuation bets, switch to trapping.
5. If limping from the button causes your opponent to get agressive, limp your premium hands.
6. Observe and exploit patterns in your opponents play.
7. If villain is relativly straightfoward, Check/Raise ace high flops from the BB when he just limped PF (because a straightfoward will raise with aces). To make this credible you might to just check behind with aces sometimes.
8. Middle and bottom pairs go way up in value, UNLESS villain is a TAG who has failed to loosen up. In this case you want to be very careful when villain plays back at you.

To answer your actual question, the only resources I've used are HoH2, a short article by Chris Furgeson, and lots of STT experience. I am currently 7:1 in MTTs HU FWIW, though all at $15 or less buy ins, so my opponents have mostly been pretty weak. What I see most often at thes levels is TAG oppoonents who fail to adjust to the looser game required by HU play. If you encounter villains who just will not adjust, fold when they start betting strong unless you have something big.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:10 PM

any chance you remember where you saw this article by furgeson? does it exist online?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any chance you remember where you saw this article by furgeson? does it exist online?

[/ QUOTE ]I think it was on "All In's" site. I don't know if it was one of their articles or what. I actually remember not liking some of his advice, such as on the button, either fold or raise (I don't think you should ever fold). What he did talk about was effective stack sizes, and how when one of the stacks becomes short then BOTH players go into shove or fold mode. I guess this is fairly standard NL stuff, but it was new to me at the time, and really affected my play for the better when I realized that your play is guided not by just how much you have in your stack, but also how much is in villain's.

So I'm not so sure it was a great article (maybe it was; I read it early in my poker playing days), but that it got that one concept through my skull made it stick in my mind.